Thursday, May 12, 2022

Touchdown!

 


OK, So I can let the cat partially out of the bag.

I have a place.

Now, I'm going to hold off on popping the grape drink* open just yet because not everything is 100%. I mean, it is but it isn't. Hope that's sort of clear.

So I'm also going to hold off on saying what town I'm going to but I'm pleased about what is about to happen.

Let's just say we've scored the touchdown but the replay official is confirming it.

The stress now shifts to cleaning out the house and getting my stuff to my new home.

The clock is ticking for sure.

I've had a few people stop by and see what we have set up for the tag sale. My friend and neighbor Sharon, who I've known her entire life, hugged me tightly as we remembered a lot of memories.

I'm a little emotionally lost on everything so I'm not quite there yet. There will definitely be a flood of memories eventually.


* Oh, the grape drink story. There was a sandwich shop in the Jefferson Valley Mall back in the 80s that served up various wedges (hoagies, grinders, whatever). They also sold different types of beverages, including what I believe was Veryfine grape drink.

Jon -- he of Richmond, VA now -- has never been a carbonated drink consumer. Much like Sean, he has traditionally opted for juices and water and so on. So when Jon and I would take our break from Sears in Jefferson Valley, we'd head out to the food court.

Jon would opt for a grape drink at the sandwich shop (I think it was called Great American Wedges or something like that).

The proprietor -- a nice man with an accent -- would always take the order. Without fail, it played like this.

Jon: I'll have a grape drink.

Man: Hmm?

Jon: Grape drink.

Man: Oh, oh, grape drink!

Me: (laughter and befuddlement)

So, yes, Jon and I will never be able to say the words "grape drink" without asking for clarification.

"Hmm?"

It became so well-known that my mother also did it for years.

But I digress.

The tag sale is this weekend. Come on out.

No comments: