Wednesday, May 18, 2022

OK, Where?

 


First, I have to tell you something funny.

The blog posts tend to get a handful of likes on social media, especially Facebook. I truly appreciate all of that.

But I've also wondered how many of those likes are based on the picture or something else. In other words, how many people actually read the post?

The answer is not everyone. Here's something I wrote in Monday's post: "No, I'm not ready to name the town yet. I want the lease signed and everything confirmed before I announce it."

And yet I still got asked where I'm moving to! It gave me a good laugh.

So, now, I guess I'll finally answer that question.

First, I should tell you that I'm going to announce this without every "t" crossed and "i" dotted. Still, I figure the puzzle pieces are in my hand and I just have to assemble them.

Once upon a time, I was a reporter at a circus called "The Decision." On July 8, 2010, you probably recall that LeBron James announced on prime time TV where he would "be taking his talents."

I was there, reporting live from outside of the Boys and Girls Club in Greenwich where the event was held.

I'm reminded of that because I feel like I've been building this announcement up more than I actually should. 

Or I'm reminded of it because it happened in Greenwich.

Because, friends, I'm moving to the town where I've been professionally known for over 25 years. 

I'm moving to the town where I've often been told that I'm a "townie" by association.

I'm moving to the town where I personally know the first selectman. Oh, wait, everyone knows Fred Camillo.

I'm moving to the town where I've broadcast the games of the public high school and the private boy's school. In fact, I've broadcast at least one game for every high school in town.

I'm taking my talents -- minimal as they are -- to Greenwich, CT.


It simply just happened. It wasn't something I thought would happen but opportunity (and social media) opened the door to a place where Sean, Rascal, and I will call home for the foreseeable future.

Now, and I can't make this clear enough, this doesn't change what I'll cover as a broadcaster. I'll still cover anything in the tri-state area (and beyond). My friend Kevin Halpenny has asked me to do youth sports out in Matamoras, PA in early June and I'm all in. That won't change moving forward.

It will give me more inside knowledge of life in Greenwich for my work on WGCH as well as at Brunswick and Greenwich High and anywhere else.

It will allow my commute to be short. Really short.

And I'll happily come back to Mahopac to do sports at the high school anytime. I'll always be happy to go back "home."

My address is changing. Other things will change as well. But my core isn't going to change.

By the time Billy Joel sings "Piano Man" next Saturday night, I'll almost be within walking distance of my bed.

Here we come, Greenwich.

Hope you like us.

Are you ready for him, Greenwich?


No comments: