Thursday, May 26, 2022

Back to Work

That's progress. I swear.

I just got an alert that I needed to put the recycling out tonight.

Nope. Not anymore. That was a reminder from Mahopac.

The recycling now goes in a bin behind my apartment whenever I want.

The garbage goes out there also and I definitely added a few bags today.

I hit the ground running at 6 a.m. as I anticipated the arrival of a Verizon technician to set me up with my internet and TV.

Yes, I took on a TV package for the moment. I'm not sure that I'll stay with it but there are a lot of decisions I'll be making on the fly.

Oh, I should stop here and explain that I'm working a deposition from the office -- a mere eight minutes or so from the apartment. Thus, the title of the post. So, yes, I'm back to work here but, really, have I ever really stopped? In the middle of everything I was still jumping on any game I could grab.

I'll pause here for a moment to say I'm a bit disgusted with the play-by-play business. It just feels like it's time to do something else. Too many egos and roadblocks. 

I mean, how exactly does it work that you can just show up and call a conference championship game? Say, I'll go to Yankee Stadium the next time they're home and call some games on Robcasting! That won't cause any problems, right?

Maybe I'll just throw the Super Bowl on there as well. No one will blink an eye, amirite?

In chatting with Mike Hirn before, I asked him why I care anymore. Well, why do I? Nobody else does.

OK, I'm getting way off track here. So, yeah, Verizon. But first, a shaky night's sleep and an early start to clean out things to prepare for Verizon. I needed to create space in the areas where I thought they needed to access.

Then Diane from Verizon arrived. She was great in that she did everything possible to resolve each issue, including a screwed-up order and a bad router. So, props to her.

As she did her thing, I did mine, putting both the bathroom and kitchen in working order. Sure, there are still boxes and other things sitting around but we're heading in the right direction. In the process, I threw more things out.


That's the sad thing about the rush to move. Because of that, there really wasn't the proper opportunity to purge thoroughly (despite the full dumpster that drove away on Tuesday morning). So things got moved that shouldn't have been and, now, I'm cleaning things more in-depth.

Much has gone into the attic and will continue to and I'll just climb up there and sort it all out.

And books. My child (delightful thing that he is) and my cousin (ditto) were both pleased to remind me that there are these things called "electronic books" that allow for the physical product to be eliminated and, as such, reduce the weight of the items being moved.

So, yeah, further purging will be necessary.

Sean's room still needs some attention and, while I'll certainly assist, that's his land to handle.

But there's my bedroom and the living room to figure out. Lots of things that can't go in the attic but I'll somehow figure that out. And a likely trip to Ikea coming up to get a small table to serve as a new desk so that I can have a remote broadcasting studio.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do have access to a radio station a mere three minutes away but I still need a place to record podcasts. Even if I do run from broadcasting, Hunt Scanlon's podcasts will remain in my arsenal.

As with everything else, I'll figure it out.

But, here I sit, in the office doing a deposition. I'm here in part because I didn't have a chance to test everything and make sure it works. But, beyond that, I'm here because I can't find the wireless mouse that goes with that setup.

It will pop up. Maybe I should put some cheese out for it.

Oh, hey, speaking of cheese, I need to do some grocery shopping! Right now, the cupboard is fairly bare. In fact, that's why I had dry cereal and black coffee for breakfast this morning. Speaking of the cupboard, or the refrigerator, the first picture to be hung on the fridge was a dandy from Sean's graduation party.


I definitely treasure that picture. Some of the faces have changed and, sadly, two of them have since passed away. So I'll take that as a precious document of what was at that time.

As for our friend The Cat, he stayed hidden under my bed for most of the day but popped out a few times to show his face. It's major process and he'll be fine.

But I'm happy with the progress today. Overwhelmed at 6 a.m., I was quite pleased with how things looked by the afternoon. It's hard work -- and will continue to be -- but it's rewarding.

It's me taking care of me for a change.

There will be much more this weekend (mostly tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday) but we're on the right path.

It won't be long before I'm writing posts from my balcony, listening to traffic whiz by on I-95 as an Amtrak or Metro-North train passes by.

I suppose that's probably the biggest adjustment. After 53 years of living on side streets and dead-end roads, I'm in a spot where I can hear the cars, horns, conversations, and everything else. That -- and lots of things rolling around in my head -- kept me from a peaceful sleep.

If tonight's deposition keeps going the way it's going, it will exhaust me to be able to get a few hours of bliss.

Bliss.

I'm trying to get there.

No comments: