Thursday, May 05, 2022

Faith Redeemed

 


It was maybe a little past 8am and I was listening to The Beatles Channel on SiriusXM. Specifically, I had "Breakfast with the Beatles" on and they opened the show with "Great Day" by Paul McCartney from his 1997 album "Flaming Pie."

It was exactly what I thought I needed to get rid of the stench of the bad Wednesday I had just experienced. The lyrics and upbeat melody hit me. A sample:

When you're wide awake
Say it for goodness sake
It's gonna be a great day
While you're standing there
Get up and grab a chair
It's gonna be a great day

Simple, I know. Not exactly "Yesterday" but it didn't need to be.

Quick detour: I love the backstory of the "Flaming Pie" title.  John Lennon gave an interview to a magazine named "Mersey Beat" in Mar 1961, long before their incredible success. He was asked for the origin of the band's name and said, "It came in a vision – a man appeared on a flaming pie and said unto them, 'from this day on you are Beatles with an A.' "

Then it felt like things crashed again. I had to do a virtual court appearance and discovered there were things that I hadn't done that needed to be sent to the State of New York ahead of time. Clearly my own fault.

I rifled off an apologetic email, hopeful that either the appearance could still go on or that we could reschedule. I didn't expect a reply but I got a quick one.

The petition had been withdrawn and my appearance wasn't necessary.

It's gonna be a great day.

I had to prepare for the call of Darien/Brunswick lacrosse so I printed rosters and a scoresheet and prepped my computer for anything I needed. I scribbled some notes of relevance to the game.

Admittedly I was still stung from yesterday but hope comes in the daylight.

It's gonna be a great day.

I'm admittedly pretty overwhelmed by the feedback from last night's post. Kourtney, Paul, Dave, Steve, Shawn, Tony, Chris, Jack, my sister, and Susan (of course) were among those who texted, messaged, and called. Some offered simply support and love. Some sent me links to apartments. Some opened their homes to me, Sean, and the Squeaky cat.

Yes. Overwhelmed.

Susan reminded me of an important point: "If nothing else, I hope this proves to you how much you're loved." Sheepishly, I humbly acknowledge that point.

Family. Damn, what a concept. It's been so damaged to me that it felt nice to know that, blood or not, I have family.

It's gonna be a great day.

In the midst of things, one text rattled me. The end of things is imminent. I chose to just ignore it before dealing with it.

And then?

I can't say too much more about things but just know that one message led to a phone call that might lead to something. Hang in there with me on that one but I hope to have news.

Soon.

It's gonna be a great day.

I was hoping to go do "Doubleheader" but I was pre-empted by the Red Sox on WGCH (I think it's ridiculous but it was one less thing for me to worry about. So I moved on to Brunswick for lacrosse. Would anyone step into my role today?

No.


Dan Arestia and I, along with the DAF Media crew, put together a solid, professional broadcast. I heard really good feedback about it from myriad people in Darien and Brunswick. For the moment I feel a bit better about broadcasting.

I'm on Brunswick baseball on Saturday with a lot more over the next few weeks. Somewhere in there will be time for packing things up but, for tonight, things are just so much better.

More promising.

Hope, as we know, can be dangerous. But I'm hopeful for a few good things to come.

It's gonna be a great day.

No comments: