Tuesday, May 03, 2022

Do You Know Who I Am?

 

He's Moe Greene. In case you were wondering.

"Do you know who I am? I'm Moe Greene! I made my bones when you were going out with cheerleaders!" -- Moe Greene  (Alex Rocco) in "The Godfather"

I heard about a lacrosse game to be played at Brunswick between two teams. Neither of them would be Brunswick.

It is Deerfield Academy and Lawrenceville Lawrenceville School and the game is scheduled for Wednesday at 5pm at Cosby Field.

Of course, my ears perked up when I heard about it last Friday at Trinity-Pawling. 

Game? Do they need a broadcaster?

Originally, Brunswick was scheduled to play Choate on Wednesday but that game had been scuttled. So the facility would host this neutral site game instead. 

Since Deerfield is a Local Live school (and is apparently the home team), there would be a videographer on-site. So, how about a broadcaster?

I did my due diligence and got the go-ahead from Brunswick to reach out to Deerfield. I got a nearly immediate response that they were interested. We quickly agreed on terms and I tweeted that I'd call the game.

A short while later, I got an email from the school. In short, it asked, exactly who am I? Can I be professional and unbiased? Am I a student at Wick?

The questions were completely fair. How would they have ever heard of me? Oh, sure, there certainly are ways but, in this case, I am an unknown quantity. The whole thing has been done site unseen.

So, unfazed, I responded. While never comfortable pumping myself up, I felt like I sort of had to.

Of course, and I understand that.

I'm a professional broadcaster with over 30 years of experience and nearly 1600 games broadcast. I've called games in minor league baseball and hockey along with college sports in each division as well as countless high school sports in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and beyond. I've worked around Greenwich, CT since 1997 at WGCH Radio where I have been the broadcaster for both Greenwich High School and Brunswick. I've been more closely associated with Brunswick since 2016 when the school decided they wanted a professional on their broadcasts.

When Brunswick played hockey during the pandemic last year, I was one of the few people allowed in the rink and the reviews from opposing teams were very good.

One thing that is extremely important to me -- and that includes on broadcasts where I'm working for a team -- is to remain impartial. I've worked many conference and state championship and playoff games where being unbiased is of utmost importance. My goal is to always make sure both schools enjoy the broadcast and feel that they've been treated well. 

I enjoy telling stories and good drama in a sports event and am hyper-focused on the best interest of the athletes.

I completely appreciate you asking!

Rob

I did appreciate the question.

They quickly responded with thanks for my answer and appreciation for the experience I'll bring to the broadcast.

Some would be bothered by this. I laughed. 

I'm nobody. I know that.

I'm certainly not Moe Greene.

But it still gave me a chance to humorously enjoy "a Moe Greene moment."

So this is the upcoming schedule:

Wed: Lawrenceville/Deerfield lacrosse at Brunswick, 5pm.

Thu: Dairen at Brunswick lacrosse, 7pm.

Sat: Stony Brook at Brunswick baseball, 1pm (doubleheader).

Mon: The Shawn Sailer #OneTown Classic! Fairfield Ludlow/Fairfield Warde baseball at Fairfield University, 4pm.

More will follow after that but Brunswick's season is rapidly ending. If there are any baseball playoffs, they'll soon follow. The lacrosse prep nationals Then it's FCIAC playoffs time. Then the states follow.

And then?

Well, we'll see but I can tell you this: we're likely heading towards another baseball tournament.

At least one. Seventeen games. Six days.

Maybe more.

I'd like to believe you can't keep a good broadcaster down.

Or me.

No comments: