Sunday, May 08, 2022

On the One

 


We've driven the ball to the goal line.

I just need to get the touchdown somehow.

At this point, I've done what I can, explaining some things and promising to discuss anything else as needed.

To be clear, I'm discussing literally how close I am to having some news to announce.

And, as of now, I can't add anything more.

I'm just trying to get into a new phase of my life and begin moving on from, say, the last 14 years. Maybe more, maybe less.

The stories that I haven't told far outweigh those that I have told.

I'm just waiting for the referee's signal.

*****

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Mother's Day. How does one appropriately acknowledge and thank the mothers -- birth mothers, adopted mothers, etc -- in our lives?

I had and will always have Nancy but there are so many others. Friends and loved ones who I called "Mom" or "Ma" as well as countless other admirable women.

I think you can be a mother (or father, for that matter) of basically anything. I like inclusion when it comes to this so be it a pet, kid, adult, or anything else, I salute you for caring for that special someone.

Close to my heart (and missed, of course) is my own mother but my sister, my nieces, my myriad friends, and more simply kick tail every day.

I talk to Susan -- an amazing mother -- every day. I don't know how she does what she does and yet she has two remarkable daughters. She completely downplays her "Super" capabilities (she loves Superman but I can't call her that).

I sat with Lori and Kourtney and Mary today for a nice dinner. Again, all amazing.

I texted Ashley and two of my nieces -- Laura and Kristy. I'm always thinking of my niece Meaghan but she's not much of a texter. Each is juggling and balancing. 

I wished a happy mother's day to Tracy online and I wish it to all of you. 

"Thanks" is never enough.

And, yeah, Mom, I miss you. You would have been laughing a lot at dinner tonight.

*****

Project House Breakdown (working or, er, Alternate Title) continued a bit today as I broke a few rooms down. We're getting to the point where I only have the necessities out. I packed up the bathroom stuff save for what we "need" and hope nothing makes us have to dig stuff out.

I packed parts of a couple of closets today, including the spare sheets and towels.

I took the magnets off the refrigerator. My mother loved magnets and I left them there expecting her loved ones to come through and take the ones they wanted. Today, they came off the shiny silver box.

I'll be getting to most of the kitchen stuff since I don't anticipate using many of the pots, pans, spices, and so on.

My room will soon get partially packed up as we get closer, to the point that I'll be whittling down to what I'll possibly wear between now and having to be out.

With each thing cleaned and each task completed it's easy to say it's the "last time" but we (speaking for my sister, Sean, and me) are trying to fight any and all emotions.

Pulling my mother's American Flag off the shed in the backyard was cause for a deep breath before quickly realizing there's much more to be done.

I still think the "get out" date is a bit far-fetched (being polite) but we are trying to achieve it.

It wouldn't surprise me if I have to spend a few days somewhere before being able to "officially" move in but it's OK. 

We're going to get through this.

Survival. It's what we do.

*****



Baseball was back on NBC today for the first time in nearly 22 years.

NBC WAS baseball from 1926-1989 and then through parts of the 90s.

But.

Baseball (White Sox/Red Sox) was only on NBC today to create interest in games streaming on Peacock.

Which, to be clear, isn't on a free tier. It's on a premium tier.

Which will get zero people to sign up.

Just like Amazon Prime.

And, eventually, Apple.

Baseball -- supposedly desperate for eyeballs and younger fans and inner-city fans -- literally does everything they can to embarrass themselves and push people away like Vince Coleman and a pack of firecrackers.

I would be totally into watching baseball on the Peacock again. Or even on Peacock. I'd have the vibes of Vin Scully and Bob Costas and Curt Gowdy and Joe Garagiola and Graham MacNamee and Mel Allen and Red Barber and did I mention Vin Scully?

Once upon a time, we had to adjust to a thing called "cable TV." It took some effort before Yankees games came into my house (the one I'm sitting in) via SportsChannel.

But that was it.

This is an alphabet soup of things to sign up for and bills to pay.

I have radio. I have the SiriusXM baseball package.

And that's how I'll "watch" games.

(Speaking of which, please "watch" Ludlowe/Warde baseball tomorrow at 3:55 (ish) on mixlr.com/robcasting-radio.)

No comments: