Sunday, May 22, 2022

Pretzels, Keys, and Lacrosse

 


I'm writing from the dining room where there's no longer a dining room table. I moved my chair in here because I left an air conditioner in the window and I'm currently cooling down.

In other news, I have keys.

I have a lease.

I start moving tomorrow.

And I'm completely overwhelmed tonight.

There still feels like a ton to do. Oh, wait, that's because there is.

I have to get the electricity in my name and the internet/cable package set up (do I dare get regular TV?).

But, like everything else, we'll get through it.


By tomorrow night a whole lot of stuff will be gone.

Except for The Cat. He goes last.

And my neighbor of, well, a lot of years stopped by with pretzels and a card. I've known her literally her whole life. As we've aged we've caught up about kids and family and life and this road.

Our road.

And yeah, I've been known for pretzels for a long time.

But, if you don't know, I wasn't always here. I did leave before, well, stories. I tried to not talk much about living back at Mom's (stereotypes and whatnot) but the short version was that I needed her when I moved in and she needed me later on. That's why I was here, in case anyone is wondering.


But let's leave that there. Today concluded my year with Brunswick. Graduation was earlier this week and baseball wrapped up on Monday.

Lacrosse ended their season today.

Brunswick gave me the joy of four championship calls. As you know, I take them all so seriously. I believe it's important to have those broadcasts in the right hands.

Today the Prep Nationals Championship was in the hands of a crew that included me and Dan Arestia on the call.

Pretty sharp, I do believe.

More to the point, Brunswick won the crown over Lawrenceville (Huey Lewis went there. The more you know).

While I'm happy for Brunswick I always carry that responsibility of being good to both teams.

Still, from a Brunswick perspective, I felt like there was a "Curse of Rob Adams" going on. In the '21-'22 school year...

- Football: Lost bowl game.

- Basketball: Lost FAA championship game.

- Hockey: Lost NEPSAC championship game.

- Baseball: Lost FAA semifinal game.

Today, Lacrosse: Won Prep Nationals championship. Sean, ever the crackup, was quick to point out that I didn't jinx them.

Now, do I think I jinx them? No, but I don't want Brunswick, Greenwich, or anyone else to think that.

In the end, it's not about me (of course).

But that does end another year. Quietly, I've been around Wick athletics since 2000 but many don't know or remember that. Either way, this ends my sixth season of as much wall-to-wall coverage as I can provide.

As always, in my wackadoodle world, who knows where I"ll be in August or early September? 

So, for tonight, I'll just reflect on the end of that year with the hope of some conference and state broadcasts. If not, I'll stay active elsewhere.

Like setting up a new apartment.

And not forgetting about my old home.

No comments: