Saturday, May 28, 2022

Storm Front

 


This post can be summed up simply: I like making people happy.

That's it. That's the post.

Oh, I can go all-in about the Greenwich Town Party experience.

I was there just after 8 a.m. and had WGCH's tent set up for the most part.

Despite the humidity, it felt like a good day.

I can tell you about walking -- WALKING -- to the concert site from home and how I walked back to meet Sean.

How we grabbed breakfast sandwiches and strolled back to the GTP.

How we weren't on the air when I wanted to be and how an audio guy made a snide comment to me. (Side note: he was wrong and took it out on me. Whatever.)

How we still didn't miss anything.

How we made the family of the first performer happy because we were on the air and his grandmother listened.

How that same performer came over later and was interviewed by me.

How there was a two-hour rain delay and, because I didn't feel right abandoning things, stayed with the equipment and went on the air occasionally to provide updates.

How incredible Robert Randolph is. Ditto for Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Extra ditto for Preservation Hall Jazz Band with Robert Randolph.

How the broadcast was basically flawless and how, once again, Sean was a great co-host.

But tonight was also Billy Joel at the Greenwich Town Party. I basically revere Billy Joel.


So does Susan, and Sean wanted to be there. And Susan's daughters -- especially her oldest, Lucy -- love Billy Joel.

And Paul Silverfarb and Jeff Alterman got passes. And Chris Erway hung out on nearby Grass Island to hear the concert.

But with a small request, I got Susan, Lucy, and Susan's youngest, Annabelle, into the concert.

And Sean was there to work with me.

So watching all of them happy was everything to me. Honestly, I didn't need to be there. I don't know that I care enough to go see Billy in his residency at Madison Square Garden. As I've said, my concert-going days appear to be pretty much over.

But this was different. Four loved ones were able to see an artist they love -- three for the first time. I saw smiles and hips shaking and people singing.

They all got to experience the joy of "Piano Man" which I can only compare to the McCartney sing-along on "Hey Jude."


I watched Susan hug each of her daughters. I could tell what it meant.

"Tell Rob thanks," Susan told Anabelle. Annabelle followed with the "thank you" of a typical kid whose mother just told her to say "thanks."

She owed me no thanks whatsoever. I could tell she had a ball. That's what matters.

I stood behind them and smiled most of the night. That's just it. As I danced what I'm sure was a "dad boogie" and nodded my head, I felt such total joy.

I don't care about what songs he did or didn't play. I felt emotion during "Vienna" (based on a conversation he had with his father) and smiled at "Movin' Out" since those were the two songs I played as I came home to Greenwich for the first time on Wednesday.

Greenwich. My home. The home I walked to from a Billy Joel concert.

Tonight wasn't about the music. It was about the joy of these people.

Tonight was honestly one of my favorite concert experiences ever. Yes, ever.

And that's enough for me.

No comments: