Monday, October 19, 2009

The First Voice of Mount Saint Mary Basketball


Astute "Exit 55" readers might remember the following from this post:
Lastly, Ken McMillan says that WBNR, WLNA, and WGHQ (known collectively as Hudson Valley Talk Radio - home of the Hudson Valley Renegades) is going to air roughly 25 games of Mount Saint Mary's College basketball. He also mentions that there are more details to be released, including the name of the announcer. That sounds like a developing story to me.
If you know me, then you could probably figure out where this was going.

I'm the announcer.

A few weeks back I received an email out of the blue from Don Verity, my boss at Hudson Valley Talk Radio. Don asked if I was interested in calling games for Mount Saint Mary, and (of course) I said yes. I went to Greenwich's film session that night, keeping the details to myself but chomping at the bit.

Don asked for some audio (done), needed to know that I could make all the games (yes), and picked my brain about how to cover the games (cool). Still he needed to check out other applicants, get the OK and such. Plus I've been down this road before. A couple of times it looked like I would be the Gades voice, but didn't. So whatever. I've had my hopes dashed before.

It took a few weeks, but today was the coronation.

I met with MSMC Director of Athletics John Wright, Associate Director of Athletics Dan Twomey, and Sports Information Director Justin Satkowski today. I couldn't ask for a better welcome. Not only did I receive their blessing, but it's clear that I will be driving the effort with their help. The Mount has never had radio broadcasts before, so I will be the leader to usher in this new era.

We have yet to name an analyst, and it's possible that I may reach into my vast resources to bring some of the great voices that I have worked with for a game or two. This will all be a work in progress.

There is a lot of work to be done, and I am extremely humbled and honored to have this opportunity.

Here is the schedule of the men's games I will be calling, while the women's schedule is here.

I celebrated quietly after the meeting was over, slightly exhausted but thrilled.

Oh, and in the meantime, I still have GHS football (and Brunswick) to call as well.

One last thing: This is not a full-time job. I don't have a full-time job. I know this story (read: lie) has been dished out (I have sources and friends, people!) and am none too pleased about it. That is currently all I have to say about that.

No comments: