Sunday, October 04, 2009

Bill Gonillo Five - After Three Games

Before I give you my BG Five (six), let me first say that it was a pleasure to be a part of the Step Out for Diabetes walk at New Canaan High School this morning. Tim Parry works so hard to promote this cause, which has had an impact on his life. His dad has been afflicted with diabetes and, of course, we all lost a colleague, the aforementioned late Bill Gonillo.

My mother is also dealing with diabetes as well.

The walk gave me an opportunity to speak with New Canaan head coach Lou Marinelli, who I had never met before today. Yes, that's right, I've been broadcasting Greenwich games since 2000 and had never spoken to Coach Marinelli. The simple explanation is the time constraints that we have at the high school level. I like to visit with coaches before a game on the field, but when you are your own engineer and such, it can be difficult.

Matt Levine from WSTC/WNLK was also at the walk, so we had a chance to catch up. Matt's a good dude, and I hope we have a chance to work together in the future. We're friends, not rivals.

OK, to the BG Five.
1) New Canaan (Last Week: 1) - They need an opponent.
2) Greenwich (2) - They also need an opponent. Watch for Friday, 10/16 at Trumbull.
3) Staples (5) - OK, they're back. They looked great in blasting Ridgefield.
4) Masuk (3) - I'll leave them at three, though they haven't overwhelmed me. It's a question of which Panther from the SWC that I like more? Masuk or Pomperaug? Right now, I'll take Masuk.
5) King (4) - Survived Brunswick. Check out what Mike Quick had to say about the Vikings in Sean Patrick Bowley's column. By the way, is this a down year in Connecticut? It just might be.
6) Trumbull (6) - With Ridgefield losing, this becomes easy. I'll leave the Eagles here. The defense has allowed seven points in three games.

Honorable Mentions: Pomperaug and St. Joseph are both sitting here, waiting to ascend to the top six.

No comments: