Sunday, January 09, 2022

They'll Never Learn

 

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks to pass against the Baltimore Ravens during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

You'd think they'd learn a thing or two from "The Heidi Game."

Which they sort of did. That was when officials at NBC bailed from a compelling Jets/Raiders game to air the classic children's movie. The Raiders came back and won the game after the Peacock broadcast departed for the film.


A few years later, a similar fate occurred up against "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." This time, NBC didn't bail, and, for the most part, games stay on with the usual "60 Minutes will follow in its entirety, except on the West Coast" (on CBS, of course).

As a Steelers fan, I'm used to games likely not airing on Sundays in favor of the Jets and Giants. Like it or not, they're the local teams (even if they're embarrassing).

Blackouts often cost us in New York if there's a possible extra game. We're normally good for three on a Sunday here before "Sunday Night Football."

I miss the days of having the Connecticut channels also. It meant we had a bonanza of pigskin.

So, to be honest, I didn't expect to have the Steelers and Ravens on TV today, especially with the Giants playing at the same time and airing on FOX.

CBS had the Steelers/Ravens, airing locally on WCBS, Channel 2.

I settled in for what could be Ben Roethlisberger's final regular-season game.

It was the usual game between the two teams. They punched each other and didn't score a lot. Down 10-6 in the fourth quarter, the Big Ben Show did his thing again, hitting Chase Claypool for a touchdown with 2:54 to play. That capped a 10-play, 50-yard drive to take a 13-10 lead.

But, credit to the Ravens as they drove 40 yards in seven plays for future Hall of Famer Justin Tucker to drill a ho-hum 46-yard field goal and tie the game.

To overtime, they went.

More punches were exchanged before Ben got the ball back. Keep in mind that a tie did no one any good.

I should also add both teams had playoff hopes (and I admit, even if they do get in, the hopes are slim). The Indianapolis Colts -- who had to beat the dreadful Jacksonville Jaguars -- not only lost but looked bad. More than that, Jags fans were decked out in clown attire to mock their general manager.

Yeah. 

Back in Baltimore, Big Ben was marching the Steelers on a 15 play, 65-yard drive that took 4:28 off the clock.

At least, that's what I heard.

Because as the clock struck 4:20 p.m. and Ian Eagle was calling the game on CBS -- the famed "Tiffany Network" -- a voice, cloaked in legal speak, spoke words that I didn't think they'd be stupid enough to say.

Due to NFL contract rules, CBS would have to leave the Steelers/Ravens game that was gripping viewers for a (mostly) meaningless New York Jets/Buffalo Bills* game.

The quote went something like that but I was too astounded to believe what I was seeing and hearing.

*OK, look, I'm sure it's not meaningless to Bills fans and even the five Jets fans watching. But, come on, what will you truly -- really, honestly, truly -- miss in those first few minutes? Even if there's a score, it's not like you're missing the end of the game. I mean, the thing is, even if I'm not a fan of the teams playing, if the game was that good, I'd want to see the end. That includes if my team is the one whose game is about to start.

The steam began to build in me.

I tweeted at CBS and the NFL. A waste of time, I know.

Contract, schmontract. Utter... well...er...horse hockey.

See? I kept it clean.

I kept thinking they wouldn't. They couldn't. It's "Heidi-esque." The game is...so...close...to...ending...

They bailed.

Calmly, yet through gritted teeth, I spoke.

"Alexa, play Pittsburgh Steelers from Sirius XM."

Through the magic of radio/internet, I listened to Bill Hillgrove and Craig Wolfley on a delay. I actually knew the Steelers had already won thanks to Twitter (my fault for looking).

Chris Boswell kicked a 36-yard field goal and it was over.

So Jets fans can watch their game. Same with the Bills. The TV is now off. I'll go do laundry.

We don't learn lessons from this stuff. We don't care that the fans get screwed on a near-daily basis. Raise ticket prices! Go on lockouts and strikes! Who cares?

Then they wonder why many (waves hand) order merchandise from...ahem...lowe-priced places.

Or just stop watching.

And before you say, "Get Red Zone," I have enough financial concerns in my current life. No. That's currently not an option. Nor was running to a bar that was playing the game (I know of one in Carmel) and, why should I, when it was on in New York before they tried to act like "Heidi" was about to air?

Ponderous, man.

Anyway, the Steelers won. Big Ben will play again next week (assuming the Raiders and Chargers don't play to a tie tonight). The Steelers will lose then and it will all be over.

But, dare to dream. That's why we play the game.

And why we often moan about those who bring us the game.

Throw those stupid contracts in the fire and start over.

Fans deserved better today.

What we didn't see in NY (thanks, NFL/CBS)


No comments: