Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Choices

Sunset outside Brunswick's Sampson Athletic Center.
Looking towards Westchester County Airport


 

I had a choice today: basketball or hockey?

Brunswick's winter schedule has several of these conundrums on them.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a dance. Which game should I call?

I am -- by definition, I suppose -- the "voice" (cringe) of Brunswick hockey and basketball. Plus football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, and perhaps lots more. One can dream.

My gut told me that basketball was the correct decision because I had just called hockey on Monday. I want to be fair to both teams.

Yet, one could compare the games and draw their own conclusion.

Brunswick basketball has injuries to key players and was taking on a physical team from Suffield Academy.

Brunswick hockey -- ranked number 4 -- hosted the 18U team from South Kent. That could be an excellent game.

Whatever the case, I decided that basketball deserved the attention.

You need to know that I like both coaches and coaching staff. You also need to know that I like both teams. I also love both sports. And, for what it's worth, my number of hockey broadcasts is basically the same as my number of basketball broadcasts.

On the court, Brunswick had a four-point lead -- 14-10 -- before Suffield Academy reeled off 20 straight points and never looked back.

Final score: 64-43.

As that went on, I kept an eye on hockey, updating viewers as I called the basketball game. The two games were played maybe 100 feet apart but all I had to do was watch on my iPad to monitor the action on the ice.

That game, on the other hand, went to overtime before South Kent ended the Bruins' six-game winning streak, 5-4.

Broadcasters often prove their worth in games that might be lopsided*. We tell our best stories then work harder to remain engaged, not just personally but for the audience. The student-athletes deserve the best coverage I can give them whether the game is close or not.

*I'm choosing my words carefully because these are teenage athletes and the last thing I ever want to do is say anything offensive. I admired how hard the Brunswick kids continued to grind even as any chance of a comeback began to slip away.

I love watching sports like that. Not everything has to be about wins and losses. The beauty of sports is often found in the little things.

Oh yeah, and I love calling sports.

So I guess that's what I'm trying to get at. I've called many games that seemed one-sided or, frankly, were one-sided. Still, our job as blabbermouths is to continue to do the basic tenets of play-by-play" Report, Inform, Educate, Entertain.

It's not some pithy "hey look at me" #LCRR nonsense (you'll have to look on Twitter for that). It's reporting the damn game and trying to keep the audience engaged.

So whether it's a 5-4 overtime thrilled or a 7-6 walk-off a home run or a 57-0 football blowout, I'm going to call it essentially the same. Sure, the entertainment factor might increase in a game that likely appears over but my goal is not to be a circus clown (Do I amuse you?).

Next up is girls hockey on Friday though I'm extremely dubious on that game between Section One East and Greenwich. I have my doubts that game will happen due to the weather. Frankly, I currently have tires that are round and made of rubber.

That's where it ends. So going out in snow/ice/blech is not a smart move.

There's always Brunswick hockey on Saturday but, chances are, that will get wiped out also.

So, currently, I suspect the next broadcast will be Monday at Brunswick.

For hockey. 

The next time basketball is around is Fri, Feb 4. There's also a basketball game that same night.

My gut is I'll go back to the hardwood.

Everyone deserves coverage.

No comments: