Monday, January 03, 2022

Steelers Quarterbacks

 

(Photos: Sporting News)

I was a Dolphins fan as a really little kid.

I knew some of the names. Bob Griese, Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Nick Buoniconti. They were the faces on the plastic Slurpee cups we acquired from the convenience store near my grandparents' house in Florida.

Still, I didn't really watch or study them. That changed with my falling for the Pittsburgh Steelers a few years later.

Early in their Super Bowl XIII win against the hated Dallas Cowboys (sorry, Patrick Urell, who still owes me a quarter but said he wouldn't pay because of "the spread") I found myself admiring the work of quarterback Terry Bradshaw.

He instantly became my favorite player. I also became fascinated with quarterbacks.

Bradshaw was sadly out of football after the 1983 season and the Steelers began an odyssey as they searched for their next signal-caller.

Cliff Stoudt started most of 1983 due to the elbow injury that would end Bradshaw's career. After that, the Steelers turned to the following...

Year/QB (Number of Starts)

1984 Mark Malone (9) / David Woodley (7)
1985 Mark Malone (8) / David Woodley (6) / Scott Campbell (2)
1986 Mark Malone (14) / Bubby Brister (2)
1987 Mark Malone (12) / Steve Bono (3)
1988 Bubby Brister (13) / Todd Blackledge (3)
1989 Bubby Brister (14) / Todd Blackledge (2)
1990 Bubby Brister (16)
1991 Neil O'Donnell (8) / Bubby Brister (8)
1992 Neil O'Donnell (12) / Bubby Brister (4)
1993 Neil O'Donnell (15) / Mike Tomczak (1)
1994 Neil O'Donnell (14) / Mike Tomczak (2)
1995 Neil O'Donnell (12) / Mike Tomczak (4)
1996 Mike Tomczak (15) / Jim Miller (1)
1997 Kordell Stewart (16)
1998 Kordell Stewart (16)
1999 Kordell Stewart (12) / Mike Tomczak (4)
2000 Kordell Stewart (11) / Kent Graham (5)
2001 Kordell Stewart (16)
2002 Tommy Maddox (11) / Kordell Stewart (5)
2003 Tommy Maddox (16)

Mark Malone

There's a lot of "ugh" in there. Don't get me wrong, there are some good moments in there also. Malone took an undermanned team to the AFC Championship after 1984 and Brister had a bit of a folk hero about him, especially when he took the Steelers on a fun run in 1989.
Bubby Brister


Then there's O'Donnell. Damn you, O'Donnell. The thing is, I liked him. He helped get the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX.

I knew they didn't have a great chance against the Cowboys in that Super Bowl.

But, then, they did have a chance. A great chance.

They trailed 20-17 with 4:15 remaining. I warned people to avoid me if it got that close.

And then O'Donnell threw an interception. He threw three total.

I'm still in therapy.

O'Donnell was gone to the Jets after that.

Neil O'Donnell

Oh, I tried to believe in Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak and loved "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox, who led the Steelers through a furious comeback in a playoff game at Heinz Field. Sean was just a baby but I danced around the apartment with him when they scored with a minute to go. His giggling with glee is a special memory.

Still, the Steelers needed "their guy." They have a horrible history of misfiring on quarterbacks, including Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson. Plus they didn't draft Dan Marino.

I actually promised I would buy a jersey (a replica) if the Steelers drafted a quarterback in the first round. They hadn't done that since picking Malone in 1980.

As the 2004 draft came near, there were three quarterbacks being discussed. It was fairly clear that Eli Manning would go to the Chargers with the first pick -- whether he liked it or not. Ultimately, Eli would be traded to the Giants for Philip Rivers.

That left the third option for Pittsburgh: Ben Roethlisberger from Miami of Ohio.

The Steelers took him with the 11th pick and I ordered my jersey a few days later.

I'm wearing it tonight as I watch him in what is likely his last home game.

The jersey, like Ben, has seen a lot. I've seen a lot also. The jersey is peeling in spots and I mostly use it to sleep in or mow the lawn anymore.

Ben got to three Super Bowls. He won two.

I'm also in therapy over that third one.

There have been incredible thrills. 

There have been lows also. the motorcycle crash and the rape/assault allegations are just two of them and I don't brush those aside.

Those are just off the field. There have been on-the-field miscues also.

Considering everything, the thrills have been aplenty. 

I loved watching him play.

I didn't love everything about him.

But if he's leaving, I'll take it. He's no worse than in second in Steelers history (remember, I'm a Bradshaw guy).

As for what's next?

It would be preferable to not wait 20 years to get a franchise quarterback.

No comments: