Saturday, January 15, 2022

Schitt's Day

 

Empty cat food shelves. Stop & Shop, Somers, NY 1/11/22

Yesterday was great.

Today was the opposite.

I mean, I survived it with humor and patience but, wow. It sadly follows the usual pattern of a really lousy day following a good one.

Issues with plumbing, rushing to Brunswick, and then a tough broadcast there.

I'm grateful I had help with the plumbing. It will be OK.

I'm grateful that people care about the broadcast. 

I am.

But, the thing is, when you approach me during the broadcast there's 1) probably nothing I can do about the issue, 2) it might not be an issue on my end (more often than not), and 3) it's distracting.

Yes, it completely takes me off of doing my job, which is to call the game.

Yes, there were audio issues on Local Live today. There were also issues on Wednesday.

All I can do is pass that along to the right people.

After that, I have to refocus on the game. This is part of the problem with calling a game among the crowd.

Do you know, for instance, how many times people look over my shoulder during a broadcast? It's insane.

What too many people, sadly, don't know is that Robcasting is live during basically every broadcast that I call (even if it's not advertised as carrying the game). I do that as a safety valve. It's my backup system and, sometimes, it's called into use.

It also gives me a copy of the broadcast.

So we ultimately fixed the audio issue by routing the broadcast audio through my computer to the Local Live nerve center. Now, it was a little more involved than that but you get the idea.

I'm sure I don't come off as the most gracious in those moments but I'm just trying to balance calling the game with handling the situation. I have such expectations when it comes to broadcasts that I'm on.

So it was really nice to read some kind words on Twitter as I drove home. It was much-needed.

When you factor everything in, this was a day in which I got into the car and just felt exhausted. I still had to get dinner and decided a trip to Wegman's might help.

It did but my body felt stiff.

But, yeah, somehow that cheesecake jumped into the cart. I suspect it wanted to go home and see Sean.

And I bought more boxes of "Crispy Rice" (the Rice Krispies knockoff) than I've ever bought in my life because they actually had some and we're in a full cereal crisis!

To go along with the cat food crisis.

So that's it. It wasn't a good day.

And, yet, we managed it.

That's a win.

As for those plumbing issues...

It was pretty...er...crappy...

But it will all work out.

No comments: