Friday, January 07, 2022

For Teddy

Cam Atkinson via Twitter


I didn't know Teddy Balkind.

You need to know that.

Oh, I know he was a junior varsity hockey player and a defenseman, and a sophomore at St. Luke's School in New Canaan, CT. I know that now.

Since then, I've learned Teddy went to elementary school in New Canaan before he went to St. Luke's. He skated at New Canaan Winter Club. I've heard other things. Wonderful things. Some corroborated, some not.

These are just scraps. Fragments. They're sketches of a life lost. There's so much more to be learned. They need to be learned. We all need to know about Teddy.

But I didn't know anything about Teddy until 8:26 pm last night. That's when I got a call from Chris Erway.

"Did you call a hockey game at Brunswick?" Chris asked. There was concern in his voice.

My mind was clear. No, I had been told all varsity hockey games were off at Brunswick until next week. In fact, I had no broadcasts. My wallet wasn't pleased but so is the life of broadcasting right now.

But, back to the call. Chris said there had been a death at a hockey game.

I wondered if there had been a mistake. Brunswick, GA? Brunswick, OH? Maine?

No. Brunswick. King Street. Greenwich, CT, USA.

I found the story Chris and his wife Genna were referencing and, well, I'm not sure I remember what I thought.

I was stunned. I remember that.

Sketches. That's all I had.

I've heard from people since then. Lots of people. Friends. People who also didn't know Teddy Balkind but all were grasping to understand what had happened.

Teddy Balkind was a junior varsity hockey player who died playing the sport.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Teddy is with the hockey gods now.

The hurt extends beyond the ice. It's not unfair to call this a loss for everyone.

Brunswick. St. Luke's. Players, teammates, coaches, trainers, rink personnel. Fans, families, and the hockey world and beyond.


Everyone is sad tonight. Martin St. Louis, who has kids who have played at Brunswick. Cam Atkinson, who is from Greenwich. 

Both tweeted condolences.

People famous and otherwise sent their regards.

All impacted tonight by Teddy's loss.

I've tried to wrap my mind around it. I can't imagine. I don't want to.

I'm a father. Teddy's father was there. On the ice.

Sketches. This is what we have.

Hockey doesn't matter tonight and yet it does. Somehow, more than ever. That's the hockey world for you. That's what hockey players do. They play. They come together in the best way they know how: to play and to honor their brothers and sisters in the sport.

Tonight, many are playing for Teddy.

We'll never get an explanation for the lives shattered. 

We just have sketches. For now.

I hurt for my friends  -- those I know at Brunswick. Plus those I don't know. Plus the St. Luke's community. Plus the hockey world.

There's nothing logical about it. It's all just a bunch of sketches.

Tonight, put a hockey stick outside and leave the lights on. Or a puck. Or just hug each other.

Be kind.

Do it for a player you've likely never met or never heard of but will now never forget. 

Do it for a sophomore at St. Luke's School. A defenseman. A hockey player. A boy who attended elementary school in New Canaan. Who skated at New Canaan Winter Club.

Do it.

For Teddy.



1 comment: