Friday, January 21, 2022

Power Through

 


I went to bed at 4:35 this morning. So ended 17 hours between two video depos.

Just to give you an idea of what's going on.

I was out and about for the first time in four days today. See, that's the thing with the video depo world (and working from home). It's very easy to get trapped or simply complacent with being home. I love working from home. Love, love, love it. But, yeah, I have to get back into the world occasionally.

Thankfully, I had a hockey game to call today. Brunswick hosted Delbarton on Local Live. The Bruins scored twice in the first minute and cruised to a 4-1 win.

I was supposed to be on Local Live and Robcasting. Which...yeah....OK.

The thing to remember is that some of the infrastructure goes months without being used. There is an XLR jack -- basically a three-hole port for the layman -- that I plug into to transport audio from my mixer on the balcony of the Hartong Rink. 

It's a different setup in the gym, where I basically plug into what you might see as a headphone jack.

Then Local Live picks that up and away we go.

Except...

Prior to a few weeks ago, the last time the Hartong Rink XLR was used was March 12, 2021. Somewhere between then and now, a gremlin got inside.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

So when you watched Brunswick hockey, you heard a lot of static and a little of me. I'm there but it's a tough listen (well, it's always a tough listen). I'm told it could be fixed by my next hockey broadcast on Monday.

So it's demoralizing when you know, basically, you're broadcasting to yourself.

Or, in this case, today, Susan and Shawn Sailer (thanks, guys!). Literally, that was my Robcasting audience.

Two.

And while it is tempting to just blow the broadcast off, the game and the professionalism win the day.

I admit there was a point where I just wondered if I should go home. That happens when it feels like it's all falling apart.

But, no. The show must go on and I called it with heart and soul, occasionally cracking jokes about the situation at hand. Humor is my best friend in those spots. I also joked about the person who ignored my backpack on the chair that was serving as a placeholder because he just had to have a spot along the railing right next to me.

I literally put that chair there to give me a little space, creating a small broadcast booth of sorts. But, no.

Back with basketball tomorrow then a depo tomorrow night then off to join Zolz on his Sunday morning show before another depositing Sunday night. 

It beats not being busy.

No comments: