Sunday, January 30, 2022

#BellLetsTalk and Joe Rogan

 

This is a random picture of a bear. For no particular reason.

Joe Rogan depresses me.

Well, no, maybe not. OK, I'm mixing things up here so let's start over.

First, the serious stuff. The annual #BellLetsTalk day passed on Thursday and I didn't know it. While I realize it's an attempt by an obnoxious corporation to curry favor with the public, it also marks the day that I talked publicly about depression for the first time a few years ago. It was something I struggled with given that I've long heard whispers of how "there's no such thing" and "it's just an attempt for attention."

We'll leave those harrowing words for another time. Be all of that as it may, I still wanted to acknowledge Bell Let's Talk as I have for the past few years. I still have ups and downs and am going through a time of great transition. Perhaps I'll elaborate more in the future but the short version is, for one thing, I will soon need a place to live.

(And I just began to shiver writing those words. Incredible that I should feel that way.)

It's a nerve-wracking time and a time in which I've arguably never felt more alone.

If you want to believe that is attention-seeking well maybe it is. Call it a cry for help.

I'm trying to reclaim my life after, say, 15 years. I've been stuck in neutral with occasional glimpses of moving forward and back. I'm content with a lot but don't have benefits (for instance) and feel like I lack stability.

So I'm hoping that will get resolved. Soon.

Again, perhaps I'll say more in the future but the point is mental health issues are real and something people -- more than are willing to admit -- struggle with every day. 

That's why I try to be here for friends and family, even if only to listen. Admittedly sometimes I should listen more and talk less.

But I'm here. That's the point.

OK, so back to Joe Rogan. Joe Rogan is an idiot.

See? That's easy. He spreads nonsense and, if I'm being honest, I've never been a fan.

Spotify, as you've probably heard, is a place to get his podcast. Neil Young, noted musician, basically gave Spotify an edict: "Rogan or Young."

Spotify pulled Young's music, per his request. Others have followed suit, including the legendary (jeez, that's putting it mildly) Joni Mitchell.

That leads some to think that Spotify chose Rogan over Young.

Some say that's not the case. Those people feel Spotify honored Young's wishes. That doesn't mean they're endorsing Rogan.

And I've decided to stop here. I had more written but, as we've long discussed (and evident in this very discussion) we lack the ability to have civil conversations. I'll add that I don't think anyone wins here. I'll also add that nobody looks good. So there's that.

And Joe Rogan spreads dangerous information. That doesn't mean I agree with Neil Young.

That's all I've got.

Other than Rams/Bengals.

Super Bowl in two weeks.

That is all.

No comments: