Tuesday, January 11, 2022

On Bob Saget and The Power of Love

 


You likely know by now that Bob Saget has died.

This, of course, calls for a deluge of heartfelt tributes whenever we lose a person of this magnitude. 

Betty White.

John Madden.

Sidney Poitier.

Of course, there's the whole "in threes" thing but I just gave you four. So...

But I've marveled at the outpouring since Saget's death -- far too young at 65 -- was announced on Sunday.

Now, I can't tell you I was a Saget "fan." I saw some of "Full House" back in the day and was mostly "meh" on it. I'd heard about his comedy and his ability to balance "dad" characters with being absolutely filthy.

The "funniest video" genre lost it for me pretty quickly. Ha. Grampa fell in the cake. OK.

But, come on, how could anyone dislike Bob Saget? I sure didn't and I like him even more as I learn things.

We loved him. Everybody did.

The cast of "Full House" has spoken -- even the Olsen twins. 

The cast of "How I Met Your Mother."

Ben Stiller.

Jon Lovitz.

Micahel McKean.

Ken Jeong.

Jimmy Fallon.

Jim Carrey.

Gilbert Gottfried.

All posted remembrances online, among others.

Pete Davidson had someone else post how Saget tried to help him through his issues.

Even some as disparate in theory as Ben Folds wrote something touching on his Instagram page.

Then Jimmy Kimmel spoke a gut-wrenching tribute.

What struck me was there were a few things in common. Among them was how everyone marveled at how warm and lovely he could be and still turn on the charm to drop a filthy, unrepeatable joke on you. That, friends, is talent.

(For sure, if you've never seen his appearance in "The Aristocrats," prepare yourself and watch it. It's gross, filthy, disgusting, repugnant, shocking, and brilliant. I laughed and lurched at the same time.)

They all said he was about the best person you'll ever come in contact with. He was truly nice and not in a bad way. He wasn't holding a knife behind his back.

He'd help you in any way possible. If you had any trouble, he was there. Good times and bad.

They all -- every since one of them -- said he'd randomly text "I love you."

That -- that last part -- is what has hit me the most.

"I love you."

It's something I've started saying more and, yet, not enough.

Sometimes you know the audience that you can't or shouldn't say it to. Often it isn't responded to.

But it needs to be said and said with truth and feeling.

Because despite whatever preoccupations or predispositions you might have, there's far more love in all of us and that includes me. I get the reputation I have and I've got a good sense for the people who think I'm a straight-up a-hole. In truth, I have no patience for phonies and value loyalty and honesty. I call out nonsense (or fighting the urge to call it out). 

The rest of the time I'm likely being a wise guy. Or I'm hoping to make you a better person somehow.

But I love you all far more than you know. I'm grateful for all of you.

It's something I know deeply and feel stronger about as time flies expeditiously by.

We're not here for a long time (but we're here for a good time).

To be honest, I come from a family that, overall, doesn't say such things. We just don't. Certainly not enough. It's not a criticism. It's just a fact.

Yet there's me, screaming it sometimes from inside. Time is just so short.

And so, this is what Bob Saget's passing reminded me of.

Love.

Love each other.

Say it.

More importantly, show it, especially to those who don't want to hear it.

The power of love is a curious thing indeed.

Thanks, Bob.

We loved you too.

No comments: