Wednesday, January 19, 2022

'The Trading Post' and The Charm of Local Radio

 

WGCH on Dayton Ave after we moved, 2007 (Google Street View)

I'm into day two of my cassette archive project.

The process remains fairly simple: I hit play and let the cassette run onto my computer. Then I edit out blank spots, pump up the volume as necessary, and save it. Then I load the file to archive.org and let it go.

I've moved into 2000 and I'm currently transferring a show called "The Trading Post."

My memory (and an Excel file that lists such things) tells me I dabbled in hosting the show on and off from 2000-2003 (give or take).

The concept was simple: it was the classified ads on the radio. I took calls from people with goods for sale or trade as well as tag sales they wanted to promote. We also accepted mail (yes, snail mail). If the phones went quiet then I could vamp a little with either music or talk.

But the phone normally rang off the hook and I'm glad I had the foresight to keep an episode that I hosted.

A special bonus for this edition of the show, from July 22, 2000, was that my nephew Michael was my guest host. He turned 11 just a few weeks after this show. He's now married with a house and two kids. We went to the Yankees game the night before.

Callers listed things like an accordion, Adirondack chairs, and a lot more. Tag sales were also announced among other items. I wrote each announcement down in a notebook in case there were follow-up questions.

I still hear similar shows when flipping the dial in other markets but WGCH ended the show a few years later as ownership changed. It was sad to see the pieces of local flavor that began to evaporate. "The Trading Post" was just one of those shows that kept WGCH relevant and buzzing, even on Saturdays.

We had a polka show -- "The Polka Party" -- hosted by the father/daughter duo of Fred and Cherly Witek. Fred started the show basically when the station went on the air in 1964. Cheryl took it as far as it could go after her dad died and, sadly, that show also eventually came to an end.

We had just so much more local programming. We were out doing remotes all around town. We did so many sports games (hi!). We aired the St. Patrick's Day parade. We drove in the very same parade.

Overall we stopped being a true community radio station by mid-2003. Shows that weren't profitable were eschewed in favor of dastardly network programming.

Most of the local flavor dried up.

There was always a buzz around the station seven days a week from roughly four in the morning until maybe 10 some nights and probably 7am-4pm on the weekends. 

Now? Nope. Just the way it is.

So shows was such charm like "The Trading Post" went away as internet usage climbed. The demographic changed and that's simply a fact.

Those who ignore history...well...you've simply got to keep moving forward.

But it was a fun listen. I was reminded of everything about the old building on Dayton Ave. I could see the board and the harsh lights. The small TV that rested above the console. The racks of reel to reel machines and the carts that we played with music, jingles, commercials, and more. The computer that acted as our (often faulty) automation.

Yes, I'm sure we belied that automation then since it replaced the on-air talent. Again, progress and all.

Oh, I could babble on about all of it and I'm sure more memories will flow.

But it was glorious and I'm glad I have the audio.

Listen to the show here.

Old WGCH studios, 2021 (Google Street View)


No comments: