Saturday, January 29, 2022

Hoover This

 


Tom Brady isn't the GOAT but let's leave that right there.

We're not here for that (Jim Brown and Lawrence rank higher in my eyes).

If the news of Brady's retirement is true (his agent is telling different stories) then people will have plenty of time to fawn over him.

But it still gives me a reason to post a favorite story that Tom Brady plays a part in.

First, you need a little context. Once again, I'm delving into something I rarely discuss: the time around the end of my marriage.

It was 2008 and things were, well, bleak. I lived in a separate room and she would often cook meals for just her and Sean.

Yes. 

Yet we'd still do some things together, like spend Super Bowl Sunday at her parent's house. In this case, it was the Giants/Patriots game -- Super Bowl XLII.

To be honest, I didn't have a huge rooting interest but Sean, who had played baseball for the Giants at one time in Carmel, told me that's who he wanted to win.

And, if we're being transparent, my ex's eventual second husband is a huge Patriots fan.

*****

I should stop here and say that I've long been so cautious in discussing any of this because of 1) Sean, 2) her parents, siblings, and other family members, and 3) it's undignified. So I've barely written probably 5% (at most) of what I could tell you from 1987 to the present day. I continue to learn things. See things.

Even tonight.

Oh, there's a book for sure.

But I think this story is kind of funny.

*****

It was a typical Super Bowl gathering (other than the tension between us) at my former in-law's house. We had chili dogs and watched the game. 

While I had a pit in my gut over the events going on, I just quietly watched the game. I took it all in. I marveled at the Giants' approach, remembering how they gave New England all they could handle in the last week of the regular season.

The Giants did what I always felt should be done. You could rattle Brady by hitting him and that's what they did. The Patriots held just a 7-3 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

I felt content if the Patriots won, not really bothered if they were the first team to ever go 19-0, surpassing the 17-0 effort of the 1972 Miami Dolphins. They'd be only the second undefeated team of the Super Bowl era.

For the most part, I just wanted a good game.

But.

In the back of my mind, a snowball began to build. Basically, a year of bad stuff (and lots of other items) began surging through me.

The Giants took the lead back at 10-7 early in the fourth quarter.

I sat quietly.

Sean -- noted Giants fan (I kid)  -- paid next to no attention. Keep in mind he wasn't quite six and was playing.

Brady, seemingly working his "magic," found Randy Moss for a score with 2:42 to play. It was 14-10 Patriots.

I sat quietly. I kept telling myself that I had no rooting interest.

Eli Manning -- helping cement his own legacy -- directed a 12-play, 83-yard drive that featured two iconic moments. The first one, of course, was Manning's scramble on third-and-five from the Giants 44. Eli's high throw was trapped against the helmet of David Tyree for 32 yards. "The Helmet Catch" was born.

The second play happened with :39 to play. Former Steeler Plaxico Burress ran a slant and go to the left side of the end zone and Manning lofted the ball perfectly. Burress grabbed it for the go-ahead touchdown.

At once, I burst. The months of being demoralized and emasculated with things that I knew and how I was being treated popped (and we were just getting started). 

"SUCK IT!" I said. I looked straight at the TV as I burst from my seat on the couch.

The Giants went on to win, 17-14.

I sat back down, fairly embarrassed. It just sort of happened. It wasn't scripted. I surprised myself. I don't know if anyone understood what had just occurred.

It was dumb.

It was petty.

It was also glorious and hysterical.

So became "The 'Suck It' Super Bowl."

If that's it, thanks, Tom. Or thanks, Eli.

Or whoever needs to be thanked, thanks.



No comments: