Monday, January 17, 2022

OK, We Get It


I will never defend the Dallas Cowboys.

Are they the team I hate the most in football? At one time, definitely. Now? Maybe? 

Still, I won't deny that I felt a certain level of glee when "America's Team" (marketing plan) was eliminated from the playoffs yesterday.

But the deluge began.

The witty comments.

The meme's.

The childish names.

I mean, come on. 

Look, I had friends text me a few things and, sure, I found them funny. I saw one before yesterday's game of Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott hugging. The caption said something like, "Hold me. We have to play real teams now."

I can laugh at those.


And, yes, the multiple shots put on the screen by CBS of one distraught fan after another were funny. 

But there are those -- you know who you are -- who just do it to excess. They're doing it to be trolls.

I'll use the same word again: childish.

Juvenile (same thing).

Like I said, I'm not going to defend the Cowboys. They named themselves "America's Team" and, frankly, I don't think they are. I think there are other teams who can claim that title and I happen to root for one of those.

But I get the whole history of hating the Cowboys. Tom Landry and his "uptight" coaching style in the suit.

The things he did offensively were radical at the time but are now standard (the shotgun, for instance). They were mocked at the time.

His quarterback, Roger Staubach, was "Captain America."

So add in the cheerleaders and the stadium with the hole in the roof and some of the mythmaking to go along with the five Super Bowls and Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin and on and on and on...

They were annoying to ridiculous points.

The big losses were glorious. The Catch. Jackie Smith dropping a sure TD against the Steelers. Leon Lett.

And Leon Lett.

Like I said, I get it.

But, as with other things, when every post is about hating the Cowboys...or the Patriots...or misguided (and wrong) thoughts...well, it's exhausting.

I'm not bothered by most of the meme's, etc. It's the dead horse that gets exhausting.


Somehow I feel like I've written this before.

And, look, I get to watch it as a Yankees fan on an annual basis. People can't keep their eyes off the pinstripes.

It's that concept of living rent-free. Maybe these people are actually closet Cowboys fans.

Anyway, they're done.

Move along.


No comments: