Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm in a Glass Case of Emotion!

Well, I'm in San Diego, home of "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" (and thus the title of this post is a line from the movie).  We arrived yesterday morning (2:30 back in the NYC) and spent the day touring the area.  I feel like I've put on 50 pounds from the insanely good food I have eaten already.

Of course, me being me, and Carrie being a great traveling companion, we drove to the Mexican border, knowing full well that neither of us could go.  That is, we could go, but we couldn't come back.  So we went, bought Slurpees from the 7-11 nearby, and were amazed at how, through this big wall, was Mexico, just going on with it's day.

Other typical things: we made sure to drive past Petco Park (home of the Padres), San Diego Sport Arena (former home of the San Diego...now LA Clippers), and Qulacomm Stadium - once known as Jack Murphy Stadium.  The Padres used to play there and the Yankees won the 1998 World Series there.  It's still home to the Chargers, and has hosted the Super Bowl.

Plus I saw Balboa Stadium from the plane.  It's now the home of San Diego High School but it was the first home of the Chargers when they came to San Diego.

We just had fun driving around. Her spirit of joining me for such silliness is just one of the many cool things about her.  And the thing is: she encourages it!  She likes doing it.  Amazing.

The time difference made for a lot of exhaustion but I was proud of us for hanging in there until about 10:00 last night - having been up since 4:45 AM (1:45 Pacific time).  Oh, speaking of the Pacific, this is my first visit to the left coast.  Pretty cool, I tell you.

A few thoughts.  The flight was good (gotta love Jet Blue).  I saw the Rockies from the plane.  South Dakota was barren, and buried in snow.  California was stunning from the air (and where I got my first view of the ocean).  San Diego is very pleasant overall (one guy said to us out of the blue: "you look perfect together").  San Diego also has an an overwhelming amount of homeless people.  That is beyond sad, of course.  The weather is everything that people have always said.  Not too hot.  Not cold.  Just nice.

And I haven't heard a single car horn.  I'm not kidding.

There are lots of pictures to upload.  There are already lots of stories to tell.  I will tell you that, despite the current status of life, this was to me a possibly once in a lifetime experience, and I'm thrilled to be here.

We'll catch up when I have more time!

No comments: