Friday, January 07, 2011

Greenwich Cardinals Hockey is Back on WGCH!

GHS Hockey
PT Prins of New Canaan High School, # 20, center, gets checked to the ice by Craig Macken, # 27 of Greenwich High School, right, as GHS goalie Ricky Piper, left, looks for the puck during second period action of hockey game between Greenwich High School vs. New Canaan High School at Hamill Rink, Byram, Thursday night, Dec. 23, 2010.
Photo: Bob Luckey / Greenwich Time

Finally, after some clarifying, I can announce WGCH’s hockey schedule for 2011.  We will be covering five regular season games (and hopefully playoff games as well, though the Cards have to keep up their end of the deal).

So here’s our broadcast schedule:

Sat, 1/22 - at New Canaan - 6:20 PM
Sat, 1/29 - vs. Trumbull - 7:45 PM
Sat, 2/12 - at Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe - 7:30 PM
Mon, 2/14 - vs. Staples/Weston/Shelton - 6:45 PM
Mon, 2/21 - at Norwalk/McMahon - 6:00 PM

I know, I know…just five games.  Now let’s look at it from the plus side.  It’s simple, really:

It’s better than nothing.

As usual, each broadcast will begin with at least a 10-minute pregame show, anchored by your friend, my friend, Sean Kilkelly.  However, in the case of January 22nd, a 6:20 faceoff means that we’ll likely open up our broadcast at 6:05 PM, as there’s no point in heading to our network programming for a mere five minutes.  So that’s more for us!

I’ll call the play-by-play (I think it’s…GASP…my 13th year).  Sadly, my partner for the previous 12, John Spang, isn’t likely to be with me in the booth but is hoping to visit us occasionally.  I will miss John’s wit and wisdom, as well as his demeanor.  He became my broadcast partner, gave my incredible insight to the game of hockey with his knowledge as an official, and became my friend.  I’m hoping we get him back on the air sooner rather than later.

That being said, Chris Kaelin will step up to the chair as my partner in crime.  Chris called a few games with me last year, and he’s already shown himself to be solid.  That’s the great thing about our crew on WGCH – when one of the guys can’t join us, we have somebody else, and we’re all friends.  So I’ll miss John and am looking forward to working with Chris.

As of this moment, I’m not sure we’ll have an interview person/between-the-glass person.  We’ll see.  I know Paul Silverfarb has offered his services, when available.

I’m glad that we’ve got Cardinals hockey back on the air.  Now…if we could just work on basketball, and Brunswick hockey, and Cardinals baseball…

No comments: