Saturday, July 04, 2020

Well Done

He just kept his head down.

I felt done last night.

Today, it's a little worse. It will pass.

It's the Fourth of July.

There's basically nowhere to go. The numbers are hinting towards being dangerous again. So, I'm here. I've mowed the heavier part of my lawn and will likely find myself sitting in a chair on the back porch if it's not too hot.

It's George Steinbrenner's birthday. John Sterling's birthday. Howard Silverfarb's birthday.

Oh yeah, and there's also something about a Declaration of Independence.

And it should always be Lou Gehrig Day.

But I find myself further dejected and disappointed and lacking the ability to talk about why.

Let's just cancel everything, shall we? Would that do?

I'm tired. Tired of the arguments.

And I'm literally sick of it all.

Nothing is ever enough.

So, I'm going back to our guy Lou Gehrig on his day, when 61,000 people jammed Yankee Stadium for a doubleheader with the Washington Senators.

With The Babe and members of the '27 Yankees on hand, Gehrig kept his eyes on the ground and ran his cleat through the dirt. He wanted no part of it.

His humility was on clear display as he controlled his emotions and, when pushed to talk by Joe McCarthy, talked about everyone else and insisted he was the lucky one.

It's a story that more people should learn.

Thanks, Lou.

No comments: