Saturday, July 25, 2020

Struggling to Find the Words

Greenwich and Darien before the Winter Classic in 2019
I've been wrestling with the post tonight.

Oh, I do that sometimes.

But, earlier today, I heard the news and, oh boy, it wasn't good. I began trying to see if any of it was legitimate.

Not long after, Dave Ruden posted the news: Greenwich High School boys ice hockey head coach Chris Rurak was dead.

He was 47.

Dave Fierro has more from the Greenwich Time.

At the moment, information is swirling and we'll learn more I'm sure. I've heard some -- that's all. No matter what, I'm speechless .

I truly gasped -- no exaggeration -- when I saw Dave Ruden's tweet.

I got to know Coach Rurak a little. Obviously, I don't cover Greenwich hockey with the intensity that I used to. But he was a joy to talk to, and very easy to get along with.

I had lunch with Chris and former GHS football head coach John Marinelli a few years ago to discuss some broadcasting ideas. At the time, Coach Rurak was all-in on a plan to have me call Greenwich hockey road games, even if only as a radio call on WGCH or Robcasting.

Sadly, it never came to be.

But, Chris would stop up and see me at the Winter Classic or if I was around the team, either covering them for a story or to call a game.

As a coach, Chris helped stabilize a team that lost head coach Bob Russell a few years ago. Under Coach Russell, the Cardinals went to the state championship but lost to Darien.

Under Coach Rurak, GHS also went to a state final but lost to a loaded Fairfield Prep team. Chris also guided the Cards to the FCIAC championship game in 2018 and 2019.

I'm babbling here. I'm truly sad for Greenwich, the hockey community, his wife Jen and their two sons and all of his loved ones.

Hockey will go on. His players are paying tribute.

But hearts are heavy.

Some things don't make sense.

Rest well, Coach.

No comments: