Thursday, July 02, 2020

The Redskins

Sonny Jurgenson, 1967

I don't know any other way to put this.

It strikes me that it's a fight no longer worth fighting.

Whether you agree with with the outcry or not, the Washington Redskins probably need to change their name.

Look, there have been PC warriors for some time on this topic. People like Mike Florio of NBC Sports only refer to the team as "Washington" and not by the mascot. Now, FedEx, as in FedEx Field, home of the Redskins, have made a formal request to change the name.

Once it starts hurting the bottom line, it's time to do it.

I hate capitulation and I'm all for flying in the face of such things, but this won't fly.

The Redskins logos and merchandise will arguably never be more popular, akin to Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians. People tend to get mighty angry when being told what they can and can't do.

Of course, with that capitulation you can't help but wonder what's next. The Kansas City Chiefs? The Atlanta Braves? Are these among the next to be in the target? As usual, the question "Where does it stop?" is a valid one. I don't disagree with any of that.

I've heard the argument for years that Native Americans (overall) don't really care about the mascot, with some even liking it.

But the tide is coming in and it's not good. Team founder George Preston Marshall was, by all accounts, a noted racist and his statue was recently removed in that continuing trend.

Can Redskins owner Dan Snyder ride this wave and survive?

What doesn't help is that his team hasn't been particularly good for a long time. They've made just four playoff appearances dating back to 2005.

So, why not call a slight audible to Warriors or another team name that allows the continued use of some of the colors and imagery, including the spear that they've used on the helmet over the years?

I get it. I really do. There are fans who will threaten to walk. But you might pick up fans also.

It's also Snyder's business and he can do what he wants.

So, at the end of the day, I don't care what the Redskins do. I've just wanted this topic to go away for a few years. It seems like the only way to do that is to change the name.

Create something new that will continue to have people singing "Hail to the...(insert name here)" around the District of Columbia.

I know, it's "soft." It's "PC." The "left" wins. And so on.

And, yes, I know. Notre Dame Fighting Irish could also be found offensive and Boston Celtics and on and on and on. Believe me, I completely get it and it does make me batty.

Yankees? Civil War imagery?

But, what's the better answer? Keep fighting it?

Just make it stop.

Hail to whatever.

No comments: