Monday, July 20, 2020

Hamilton

Alexander Hamilton

It's been a thing for a few years.

Hamilton. The musical. The film. The soundtrack. The phenomenon.

My friends all post about it!

Everyone loves it.  They do.

Right?

So, here's the thing. While not trying to be "that guy" who dumps on the whole vibe, I'm going to offer that I've literally never had any interest in seeing in it in any form.

There are just certain things in life I've never quite "gotten" or had no interest in "getting."

I realize this makes me un-American or something, but well, I don't know what else to say.

I can't actually quite figure it out. I like Lin-Manuel Miranda and I love history.

And, I have nothing against rap or poetry or the content of the show.

The best I can guess is that it's just one of those things that I become a contrarian about when "the world" tells me I should like something.

It's a lame answer but it's the best I have.

I did the same thing with U2 back in the 80s, as an example. I was on that bandwagon really early. Then The Joshua Tree came along and there was something about that moment that made me drop them like a bad habit for years. Tastes change. It happens.

I never liked anything about The Matrix, for instance (and, really, not much of a fan of Keanu Reeves). The same goes, basically, for anything Will Smith does. It's nothing really personal, per se, and it's not like I have some vehement thing against either of them. They're both sort of just...you know...there.

I don't like (and I'll likely get crap for this) anything about The Lord of the Rings. In any form.

Or Game of Thrones.

Now, does this mean I don't like or am disinterested in all things that are popular? No, not at all. I was all over The Sopranos and Seinfeld and Star Wars and a whole lot of other things.

But I never got into Breaking Bad (I liked what I saw) for instance.

This goes for music also, but it's probably unfair to talk about music because I haven't really been tapped into the current music scene for years.

But, have I also been known to latch onto things that might be off the beaten path? Oh yes. Yes I have.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? I watched it. All of it.

Lesser-known movies and music? I'm in.

Look, I'm a jerk sometimes when it comes to these things. My music opinions have become a running joke at times (at least regarding Maroon 5). But, I truly mean no offense here.

I suppose this is like Titanic or Avatar -- two movies I also wasn't interested in. I saw them eventually due to one person or another putting it on.

Hamilton is the kind of thing that I'd watch if someone makes me watch it.

I have no doubt it's phenomenal. I have no doubt the music is stellar and the acting is tremendous.

And I fully expect comments to tell me how I should capitulate and that I'm missing the boat. I respect it. I really do.

I just don't care about seeing it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We each need to feel comfortable with our opinions. I have heard all the raves and the posted songs but have still not ventured to see the musical. Just not on my bucket list so I feel your pain !