Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Risk



"There's obviously a risk. Just walking outside there's a risk. There's a risk everywhere. But I just know I love this game and I love this team that we've got here." -- Aaron Judge, July 6, 2020

I couldn't agree more with this quote.

Now, the quick reaction would be to say, "But but but but ROB! Risk is irresponsible..."

Hold on. I didn't say to just willfully risk away. Not all risk is irresponsible.

I advocated for wearing masks recently, but furthermore, I advocated for common sense.

Baseball -- indeed, all sports -- are trying to come back with common sense.

Now, that doesn't mean it's succeeding. My god, there's been some real sings and misses in this process, including the way testing has been handled.

But, Aaron Judge is right. I'm taking a risk by getting in my car today, right? Or by biting into that next Krispy Kreme (haven't had one in some time...sigh...).

I'm taking a risk by going to Wilton or Greenwich or Trumbull or Mahopac or Dutchess Stadium to call a game.

That's what I mean. A common sense approach with the proper protocols will suit me just fine.

No risk, no reward, right?

Aaron Judge and Major League Baseball are planning to play because it's their job. Now, some have opted out, and many have done so for extremely good reasons. Still, we may reach a point where too many opt out and the plug will need to be pulled on sports.

Could we be living in isolation? God, I hope not.

Again, a day at a time.

I loved what Judge had to say.

It dripped in common sense.

And, while I'm at it, enough with asterisk narrative. YOU don't like how this is going? YOU don't like 60 games or bubbles or whatever?

Tough. These are the details of this season.

Whether it's the Yankees, Rangers, Nets, Penguins, or even the Mets, the champion will be the champion.

Now, this is just my opinion (it's not a rule/order despite what those who are deranged might tell you) but, barring, say, an Orioles/Marlins World Series, this stuff is the real deal.

These are the parameters.

And, please, let's get it underway soon so we can start muting some of the nonsense, please?

There's a risk to everything.

Just as I took the risk calling Greenwich/Wilton tonight.

No comments: