Friday, July 03, 2020

Tonight, I Feel Just...Done

Gerrit Cole on the mound at Yankee Stadium yesterday. I need
a happy image. Please let me have that. (Yankees Twitter)
Maybe I used up all of the adrenaline.

Maybe I'm just exhausted.

Whatever it is, I'm tapped out.

I spoke with Jonathan Rios -- the man behind WON Sports (WON, 920 The Apple and WEAF, 940 The Liberty) --for a little over an hour tonight. We had a great talk about so many things and I believe you'll be able to hear it for yourself next Friday.

I had plenty of energy. I loved telling stories and talking about sports and broadcasting.

I was on fire!

And then? It was like the air was sucked out of the room.

I know Mike Hirn and I need to get cracking on the revival of "Tales From the Booth," and we will, but it doesn't feel like it's happening tonight.

Humidity? Yeah, that could be it.

But, I think sometimes my body and my mind just get so sad and lost at everything that is going on.

What would my dad think of 2020? I don't think that's an easy question to answer.

How do you explain it to kids?

The thing -- the very thing that I talked about yesterday -- is rapidly coming true. Last night, I suggested the Washington Redskins change their name, if only to get that topic done once and for all.

Today, the Redskins announced that they're going to have conversations about doing just that. Ok, fine.

It's going to happen.

Follow the money.

Now, tonight, just as Jonathan and I were wrapping up, the Cleveland Indians announced the same thing.

I don't dare pursue it because anyone who does is immediately labeled racist.

Conversations aren't allowed. Only accusations.

You realize PETA once tried to get "Fishkill, NY" to change their name, right? They might actually be successful if they were to try today.

Even Vin Scully (!) was briefly in the cancel culture crosshairs before so many people realized how patently dumb that was.

At least there's a hint of common sense.

I think that's enough for me.

I'm taking tonight off.

The world can find something else to feign outrage about.

No comments: