Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Tonight, Let It Be Löwenbräu


I've got, well, not nothing tonight, but nothing I feel like talking about.

I thought I'd dive into things gnawing at me, but I feel like my friend Tim Fletcher said it best on Facebook a short time ago:
It’s time for the moderates on both sides to stand up and be heard. We’re living in a world where 10% of the population is telling the other 90% they’re not allowed to have an opinion. Most of us are good and rational and can have a conversation. We can disagree and still be friends. Stop letting the extremists on both sides of the pendulum control the rhetoric. Enough already. We’re ALL allowed to have an opinion.
My god, I love everything about this.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right."

But one can only watch so many reruns of Jeopardy or whatever before going insane. So as I chewed on my insanely good Philly Cheese Steak from Mahopac Inn (seriously. Insanely good and run by good people -- everyone, delivery drivers included are really great) I found myself just pondering.

So, whatever it is -- personal, professional, etc -- there's not much I can do about it here.

Let it go, Rob. This stuff isn't worth it.

So I did.

Instead, as I sat down to type (with literally no clue what to write about), I said the word "tonight" before thinking about something that Dave Torromeo, Mark Jeffers and I have sung many times.

Here’s to good friends
Tonight is kind of special
The beer will pour
Must say something more, somehow
So tonight, tonight
Let it be Löwenbräu

Why? Because the three of us (and Bob Small) somehow started having these sing-alongs during The Clubhouse. It started with TV theme songs and evolved into...well...beer commercials and whatever else.

So, while I don't have a beer in my hand, I have a song in my heart and love for most.

And I'm old enough to remember the commercials. So tonight...



Besides, this also allows me to remember John "Tonight Let it Be" Lowenstein, so named by Chris Berman back in his halcyon days of nicknames on SportsCenter on ESPN. He homered to win Game 1 of the 1979 ALCS, as called by Dick Enberg on NBC.

No comments: