Sunday, July 05, 2020

Happy 70th Huey

Huey Lewis at Bethel Woods, Aug 5, 2012

I've learned to mute people on social media.

Of course, that gets me in trouble when I'm not responding to everything they post. I actually think that makes me a better friend in that I'd rather not see whatever I feel is "nonsense" for the good of the friendship.

I don't do it a lot, and I've turned it on and off with some.

But, I'm not afraid to, especially now, and I don't doubt someone has muted me.

And I KNOW some have blocked me and/or dropped me for myriad reasons. It's all complicated and sophomoric.

But, I think muting (and, rarely, blocking) is quite useful in the most divided times I've ever experienced.

Oh, so how does this relate to the tile of this post?

Well, Hugh Anthony Cregg III (or "Huey Lewie"...or, ah yes, Huey Lewis) is indeed 70 years old today.

Except for his hearing issue (which is certainly not minor and I'm told that he's going through a rough patch again now), he's otherwise in great shape and certainly doesn't look his age.

The song "Hip To Be Square" was actually meant ironically as he later admitted but, overall, he hasn't really lived the debauched rock and roll lifestyle. He hangs out on his Montana ranch and fly fishes and goes back to California to meet up with the News at their studio.

Basically, it's clean living.

So, happy birthday, HL.

But, still, how am I tying the two together?

As I sit here on this hot Sunday in great state of New York, I was enjoying the sounds of Mr. Cregg...ahem...Mr. Lewis and the News when "Perfect World" came on.

It's a mostly-forgotten (by radio, anyway) track from 1988's Small World album. Written by Alex Call, who was in Clover with both Huey and News keyboardist Sean Hopper, it's basically a glimpse towards utopia.

The song hit the Billboard charts, topping out at number three. The album was a departure for the band and the song was their last top five hit.

The lyrics struck me today as I prepared to write.

Ain't no livin' in a perfect world
There ain't no perfect world anyway
Ain't no livin' in a perfect world
But we'll keep on dreamin' of livin' in a perfect world

So, as you work towards eradicating the world of all the "evil doers" and statues and team mascots and books and TV shows and movies and music (picking and choosing as you go along, of course, because hypocrisy never takes a day off), I'll be sitting here.

Ignoring.

Muting.

And we'll keep on dreaming of living in a perfect world.

No comments: