Thursday, July 30, 2020

Simply Happy

Courtesy The Week

I was getting ready to walk into a store today when, in a fit of being silly, I stepped on a yellow circular sticker.

"SOCIAL DISTANCING! Please stand six feet apart," it said.

Nobody else was around, so I started (almost) to treat it like hopscotch.

I paused, preened, and acted like I was going to jump to the next circle, when I took one giant step, reaching it in two.

Except, someone was around. I often think I'm invisible, but of course I'm not.

He was laughing as he enjoyed a break from working at the very store I was about to walk into.

"Thank you," he said. "You just made my day."

Undaunted (but probably blushing) I laughed with him.

"I couldn't resist," I said.

Isn't that the point? To make the best of what we're dealing with? That, laughter is the best medicine?

It was a moment of levity, even behind the green mask I was wearing and I privately felt great for bringing him that moment.

John Nash gave us some perspective over on his great blog this morning. It was a reminder that life is short. Way too short, and stupid bickering and squabbles aren't worth it. Whether I and an unnamed individual named to remind one of a a traditional Mexican dish consisting of a small hand-sized corn or wheat tortilla topped with a filling (thanks, Wikipedia) had anything to do with inspiring his post is immaterial.

It struck me. Life is too short. I considered various (and sundry) versions of this post tonight and might still use some of those ideas in future posts, but the point sits that today was just a happy day.


Now, look, this picture is hardly happy, but it also indicates how fleeting all of this is. Reports indicate four people were hurt in that car fire that I happened upon at one point today, and please don't take my overall joy as being tone-deaf. In fact, the exact opposite. It reminded me to be grateful.

I hope for good health -- no, great health -- for those involved. It was an intense scene.

Today was one of those days where the bullets of the world weren't going to bring me down. John's post and this picture reminded me to make the best of everything.

So, I did.

That's why the continued whining about baseball (and sports) playing is just making me nuts. If you're a sports fan, kick back and enjoy it.

Seriously. I beg you. Grab a beverage. Have some wings. Order a pizza. Keep a scorecard. Call a friend and debate something.

Last night was glorious, and it's only going to get better. I had Yankees/Orioles, Mets/Red Sox, and Rangers/Islanders all the touch a remote control apart. Now, the NBA is ready to join the party. It's a wonderful smorgasboard that we should be embracing instead of lamenting.

If I -- ME! -- can enjoy Mets/Red Sox, can't you stop complaining and remember that sports are supposed to be fun (and a business)?

My new hashtag is #TheyWillPlay because they're going to. You're incessant complaining isn't going to change it!

Today, I was able to go do "Doubleheader" from the WGCH studios. I was able to talk portable broadcasting mixers and other minutiae with Bob Small.

I had a good lunch, and kept adjusting to whatever life threw at me.

I felt helpful and useful.

I also got to just drive in my (new to me but used) car, and even that felt good.

And, I received a text from Sean telling me that he got his driver's license today. That's my boy!

Yes, the "Mexican dish" and I argue about utter idiocy but, sometimes, it's a welcome respite from the big, bad world. Soon, it dissolves into pure tediousness, and that's when I should really walk away.

That's when it's silly bickering.

Yet, there are moments when it is cathartic.

So, I treasure days like today. It reminds me of Jim Valvano's famous words:

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Today was one of those days.

No comments: