Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Chez Outrage



Are there limited openings at the social justice table?

Is it by reservation only?

The situation boiled over back in May with George Floyd and, really, hasn't stopped.

There has been some productive movement there and, let's be honest, some very unproductive movement.

But, hey, protests have to disrupt, right?

In the process, we segued into first covering monuments in graffiti, before tearing them down. Off with their heads...and more!

Then, it was onto the Washington Redskins. Next, the Cleveland Indians. The Chicago Blackhawks. The Kansas City Chiefs.

Hell, even the Mahopac Indians.

Gotta change 'em all! How can you care about that as a high school mascot?!?

Full disclosure: I'm in favor of leaving the Mahopac Indians alone because it was a title of honor. Additionally, while I have some native American blood in me, for what little that's worth, I otherwise have no say in the name at all. Honestly, who am I? Why should I have a say? Or you, for that matter? I'll leave it up to those above my pay grade. That being said, I've heard "Lakers" suggested as a potential new name, and I have to admit I like that. As always, your mileage may vary.

Then, yesterday, the story hit that Philadelphia Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson used Instagram to post a quote that he thought was from Adolf Hitler (who needs no introduction). He also quoted Louis Farrakhan. In both cases, the quotes -- misattributed or otherwise -- were anti-semitic.

Wow.

The Eagles have condemned the comments.

Now, the story has been reported in the media, and I heard it bandied about on a few talk shows -- especially talk shows ("Doubleheader" was off yesterday and I generally feel sports game broadcasts are not the place for such things).

But, just curious, where's the social media outrage?

Jackson is barely even trending today!

Where are you, LeBron James?

Steve Kerr?

Gregg Popovich?

Where's the NFL today?

Where's literally EVERYONE who blasted Drew Brees over kneeling for the National Anthem, with some suggesting that Brees should never play another down in the NFL?

Where are all of the social media warriors in my timeline?

While I'm at it, shame on former NBA player Stephen Jackson. I thought that guy was a voice of reason but he DEFENDED DeSean Jackson.

Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo was the first one I heard to rip these hypocrites and he's spot on. Where is everyone else (I'm just told former WGCH and now ESPN star Dave Rothenberg is ripping everyone).

This isn't a left/right thing for me and I have no agenda or narrative, except for consistency.

As with team names, while I'm entitled to my opinion, this isn't for me to fight otherwise. I personally think he has to show contrition (his apology wasn't exactly strong) and learn from it. I'm not one to throw people out.

So, where is everyone?

All voices can be heard at the social justice table, right?

Or, is it only when convenient?

You figure it out.

No comments: