Saturday, July 11, 2020

Entitlement

It's all about...him. (GETTY IMAGES/ISTOCKPHOTO)

We know what kind of times we're in.

COVID-19, "Wear Your Mask," George Floyd, Trump, Biden, the Redskins, the Indians, and on and and on and...

There's rampant unemployment and emotions are probably at the highest they've been in years.

So, maybe the best plan of action is to lay off how great your life is these days on social media?

It's astounding and the very definition of "White privilege."

It's the optics that we talk about, isn't it?

I saw a picture of a group recently. They were clearly all placed there by parents who could afford it. Well, good for them, I guess, but what's the lesson? Do I even need to explain it?

Also, they were -- almost -- all white. Mostly male also.

What's more is, I can tell you that the faces were from the tri-state area of NY, NJ, and Connecticut. Several from Fairfield County, but bet your bottom dollar (see what I did there?) that none of them were, say, from Bridgeport.

So, the next time you tell me about "(insert career field here) is too white and/or male," remember this.

In my field (that of play-by-play announcer) there's been an outcry for more faces of color. Stories have been written about it, and a grant and scholarship fund has been created.

Do I blame anyone? No, I don't think so. I can't blame the parents for wanting what's best for their kids, but I can only hear my parents had I gone to them asking for the money to do this.

"You want how much for what?"

"Get yourself a job and we'll talk about helping you."

And, so on.

I have to say that I'd probably do something similar had it been Sean or we would have come up with an arrangement of some kind.

There's still a need for responsibility. I'm constantly looking in the mirror to see where I've failed with Sean to understand because, even though he's 18, the lessons never end.

But, more than this, know the room these days.

The constant pictures of your pool and car and kid and big house and opulence doesn't make you a #blogger or whatever.

It makes your #spoiled.

Yes, there's something to be said about the finer things in life but the days of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" have certainly evolved.

Living your best life? Cool. Not everyone else is. Stop being so tone deaf.

There are ways to do so with grace and class.

And, like I said, the lessons never end.

Maybe growth is possible.

Sadly, I doubt it.

No comments: