Sunday, July 19, 2020

Adjusting

That chair couldn't be there because it would have been in Chico's way

It was late in the evening of March 17, 1989 and certain things needed to be done.

My father's car -- his gold Chevy Nova with the black roof (yes, Steelers colors) -- had to be moved out of the driveway.

I did this many times and, now, I realized I didn't have to do it anymore.

It was the dumbest, smallest thing to provide as a moment of comfort. It was a complete mechanism and I would trade it all to have him back.

And so, we feel the same things this weekend.

I started closing my closet a few years ago because Chico wasn't thrilled with my changing of his litter box at times. He took his displeasure out on a pair of shoes.

Or it would be on a duffle bag. One that might contain expensive radio equipment.

I came to the realization that the closet door can stay open again.

The upstairs door could stay closed now that there wasn't a cat who needed unimpeded access. The door to the garage could stay open since he couldn't sneak out.

My bedroom door could be whatever it wanted to be now.

I realized that the equipment bags could be anywhere without fear of Chico reprisal. I didn't have to concern myself with kitty litter and a litter box either.

I could put things wherever I wanted to on my desk as it no longer blocked access to "his window."

Or on my nightstand which also provided access to "his window." Not, not that window, his other window.

Every window was his.

These things are dumb and, just as in the example about my father's car, I'd give them all up to get Chico back.

They sound weird and even heartless.

But they're dumb things that give me the littlest taste of solace. The tiniest silver lining.

It's also all part of the grieving process for whatever the loss is.

But I miss him. A lot. (And don't tell me "he was just a cat")

*****
(New York Times)
The Yankees and Mets played an exhibition game last night at Citi Field. They play again tonight at Yankee Stadium. I caught just a bit after Sean's party wrapped up.

The YES Network broadcast piped in fake crowd noise and there were cut out faces on some of the seats.

The faces looked creepy, although I know that's been a thing at some sporting events around the world during the pandemic. Most importantly, the money raised by those faces on the seats is going to charity so it's hard to get upset by it.

The crowd noise was mostly unobtrusive, though I noticed it to be a little weird when something of consequence happened.

Like anything else, it's a work in progress. But, here's the most important thing: competitive baseball was back on my TV.

I'll keep repeating it: it's a business and they are going to try it.

Will any sport complete their season? I can't say for sure and things could change.

They could change tomorrow.

I realize those against all of this will keep beating their dead horse but perhaps they should also realize that they're looking for any excuse to not have sports.

But maybe they should also sit this season out.

No comments: