Thursday, July 23, 2020

Traditionally Out the Window

The Babe leads the march for the opener


It's Opening Day.

Finally.

The two happiest words in baseball can be "Play Ball" or "Opening Day."

There are others but let's not get pedantic.

Look, this is weird and different and unique but it's still baseball.

Do I hate what Rob Manfred and his band of merry men have done to the game? Yes, yes, and yes. Have to pitch to three batters before leaving the game? Dumb. Starting extra innings with a runner on second? Nah. Expanded playoffs? Doesn't excite me. Universal DH? Not thrilled.

But it's baseball. I've personally been waiting months.

So let's stop the naysaying and everything else. Tonight at 7pm, let Max Scherzer fire pitch number one of the craziest sprint in history.

Could it turn out to be a disaster? You bet! We could have a Marlins/Orioles World Series and that would just not be good.

But, whatever it is, the champion will be the champion. The ring will still fit.

I know, I know. No fans, virtual fans, whatever. Pumped in video game sounds, people kneeling, ads, the Nike logo, bad announcing, politics, blah blah blah blah blah.

So what? Take it all in. The game is (mostly) still the game.

I still think playing the anthem in an empty ballpark is silly anyway, as foolish as playing "God Bless America" in an empty stadium but game operations are still trying to stick to the usual routine.

And, yeah, I hate, loathe, detest, the Nike logo.

Whatever.

It will be fascinating.

I've called games in (basically) empty stadiums as well as in office suites and studios. Embrace it!

No day makes me happier than Opening Day -- even this one -- and while people are trying to harsh my buzz, it won't happen.

I wish there were day games instead of made-for-TV nonsense with Matt Vasgersian and A-Rod calling Yankees/Nationals tonight but that's why I have the radio with John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. Besides, baseball is still radio's best sport by far.

It's why (weather permitting) I'll be calling a game in Danbury and trying to following Yankees/Nats.

I'm ready.

Maybe you're not.

There are no guarantees. Traditions will fight to stay relevant.

But it's time to do this. Let's get this thing going.

PLAY BALL!

No comments: