Tuesday, June 02, 2020

What Are YOU Prepared to Do?

Be more than a photo op. (Genesee County Sheriff Chris Swanson walks with marchers --
photo by Jake May/The Flint Journal, MLive.com/TNS)
You're mad, aren't you?

But, what are you mad at?

Are you mad at the violence in the streets? Are you mad at the looting? Are you mad at those who don't remotely care about George Floyd but are just there to be seen and cause trouble?

Are you mad the president? Are you mad at local leaders? Cops?

All of the above?

So am I. I'm mad at all of that, and more.

But, start with Derek Chuavin. Add in fellow Minneapolis police officers Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng, and Thomas K. Lane.

Be mad at them.

Recognize that they are the reason we're here today. They're what popped the cork on the bottom of racism that has been bubbling. Go read about Rodney King and 1992 Los Angeles.

Remember George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery and the myriad other names. Don't let others tell you what to think.

Don't listen to rumors -- like the one that had Antifa working through Putnam County last night.

Don't listen to Don Lemon preach.

Read. Think.

Start there.

Don't go for virtue signaling. My oh my how it's everywhere. More often than not, they're empty gestures.

Posting a black square is nice.

But, to quote James Malone, as played by Sean Connery in The Untouchables: "What are you prepared to do?"

I'm going to listen and understand. Seems simple and, yet, it's not.

Blacks, browns -- minorities of all shapes and sizes -- should be heard. They're trying to be heard.

I'll listen.

Empathy. Understanding. Compassion. Respect. They're beautiful things.

The message gets muted for myriad reasons. Don't allow it.

I'm listening. I'm hearing why Black Lives Matters is a good thing and how it needs to be on the table. I realize I was wrong. It wasn't about being the only voice, but it was about being an equal voice.

We continue to fail to have conversations and, trust me, each word I type comes with that impending doom of "But...but...but...Trump..."

Spare me the constant tweets and the memes (oh, golly, you're just so funny except, you're not).

Your Trump obsession is dangerous (good or bad). You know why he could lose in November? This. Right now. This.

It's how your voice can be heard if you want it to be.

Right now, nobody impresses me. The likelihood of me voting for a presidential candidate is low.

We're begging for leadership. Dying for it.

I'm saddened at our government; that no one had the brains to corral this nonsense. I believed in the checks and balances and, instead, I saw people get sprayed so he can hold a Bible aloft for a picture.

It's not exactly Washington crossing the Delaware.

Why hasn't he been heard from? Help settle this country down.

For that matter, where the hell are each of the sports franchises I've dedicated so much time to? Derek Jeter and Michael Jordan -- both known for being apolitical -- have spoken. Where are the Yankees and the Steelers and the Knicks and the Rangers? (Yes, I know the Knicks and Rangers had a memo leaked saying they're remaining quiet. My point stands.)

*Note: The Yankees posted something just after I finished this post. Some still don't find it acceptable. I find it better than nothing, though no team is required to do a thing. (Additional note, 6/3/20: The Steelers have also released a statement)

My words mean nothing, and I know that. You all might have the answers. I don't.

I'm no hero.

Most of your tweets and Facebook posts and Instagram stories and posts and Tick Tok or whatever else go into a void.

I know better.

I'm one voice who talks into a microphone.

And that voice WILL do a show today to continue to try to have a conversation.

And I'll LISTEN if YOU want to talk.

And if you want an opinion or advice, then I'll offer it.

I can't do much but I'm willing to work together.

No comments: