Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Looking Ahead



It's a spring rite of passage.

The schedules are out!

For me, every year since 2000, that means dissecting where I will spend approximately 10 days for Greenwich football broadcasts.

My head always begins to spin. Who do I need to talk to? Will we encounter any issues with road games? Will we have space in the booths on the road? Will we have space in the home booth? Are there any other broadcasts we have to contend with?

Believe me, it's a process.

This year presents a whole different concern called COVID-19. Will any of these games get played? Will the schedule get changed?

I actually think we'll have a season. But there might be some unique challenges. From there, I wonder if Chris Erway and I will be welcomed in any press boxes this year. We've been deemed as (basically) essential, which doesn't thrill everyone, but we're the ones who will pass the word of what's going on, hopefully along with a video broadcast.

Of course, I'll still have my eye open for Brunswick, Mahopac, and any other schools that Local Live wants me at.

I hope.

I've probably never been more worried about job security, simply because of budgets and -- well -- the unknown.

But, if it all goes well, then I'll be at J Walter Kennedy Stadium in Stamford around 11:00 a.m. on September 12.

(Assuming there isn't a Renegades game also -- this is all so confusing)

Ridgefield helps open the '20 season at Cardinal Stadium. Ah, yes. We're all counting the days until the improvements begin.

But the schedule presents challenges as well. We've never worked a game at Shelton High School so what will that be like? I've heard dicey things about cell signals and internet. That worries me, of course.

Fairfield Prep comes calling to Greenwich, and given I have a relationship with them, that pleases me.

Then back to back trips to Trumbull, once on a Saturday to St. Joe's, where I haven't called a game in several years (and even longer since I called one on their upper field) and the following Friday night at Trumbull High, where Jeff Alterman will take good care of the WGCH crew. We're hoping, in fact, to co-produce with Jeff's TEN (Trumbull Eagles Network) for that one.

I'm also hoping to help Jeff out with other games as I desperately need to get back on the mic. Trumbull's opener is at Staples and it would be fun to see Marce Petroccio go back to coach against his old team in Westport.

New Canaan comes to GHS next (the Marinelli bowl era is officially over!), followed by another long trip for the Cardinals -- to Danbury. That, of course, is probably the closest FCIAC school to me (only Ridgefield comes close).

The season ends with home games against Stamford and Staples.

We have three months to figure all of this out.

And hopefully some baseball between now and then.

No comments: