Friday, June 19, 2020

Just Sort of Thinking

Sean's 2020 yearbook

Sean is here tonight.

It's the last time he'll be with me as a high school student before he officially graduates next Friday.

Classes are over and this bizarre senior year is in the books.

I'm proud, nostalgic, pensive, and I suppose a little sad.

And I'll probably write some of these same things next week, though I'll try not to.

My little boy isn't quite as smiley and happy-go-lucky anymore and that's OK. He's a man and a good one at that.

He brought his yearbook here tonight and I perused it, reading all the things that go into it, and hearing how the Yearbook Committee gave themselves eight -- I think -- pages to pat themselves on the back.

Ah, the spoils.

I find myself reflecting on his high school years. Of course, I also worry about all the ways I failed him, though he says otherwise.

I'll always worry about how being a product of divorce impacted him and I really hated seeing him change schools, though Sean just rolls with the punches.

Still, I'm always going to worry.

It also got me thinking back on my own senior year and graduation.

To be clear, this is about him though. It's his time. It's his friends' time also, and while there were other names who wandered through, there were really his main two -- Chris and Will.

And, of course, I worry as they each head in their different directions in the fall. At least, if COVID allows them to do so.

But, he'll figure it out and I'll be here if he needs me. That's how it's always been.

Anyway, I'm just sort of thinking out loud ahead of what I'm sure will be a week filled with deep thoughts.

No comments: