Monday, June 08, 2020

I Miss Things

Love is the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore at 7 a.m. (8/20/2019)
I don't mean to be tone-deaf.

Yes, we're in a pandemic.

We're still *checks CNN* protesting in the streets.

So, I guess I run the risk of being told I'm "privileged" when I say I miss some stuff.

I miss the solitude of setting up and breaking down a broadcast.

I miss sitting in an empty facility, maybe alone in my thoughts or just talking to someone.

I miss a 2-2 curveball with runners at the corners and two out (deuces wild, of course).

I miss sitting in "the catbird seat" (Google it) and relaying every last bit of it.

I miss watching Greenwich football play while talking about something nonsensical with Chris Erway.

I miss the New Jersey Turnpike at five in the morning while roaring south towards Delaware.

Next stop? North Carolina.

I miss basically everywhere.

I miss the open road.

I miss road food (one All-Star Special, please).

I miss the Hartong Rink with the buzz of students.

I miss the gym. Greenwich, Trumbull, Brunswick. Any gym. Last possession. Two-point game.

I miss Yankee Stadium. Yes, the much-maligned "new" one. I miss the old one in perpetuity.

I miss having a cold beverage with my friends. Or a hot beverage.

To quote Red in The Shawshank Redemption: "I guess I just miss my friend(s)."

I miss walking through (insert store here) for heck of it.

I miss sitting in (insert dining establishment).

I miss the idea of believing I'll have a life and a future.

Sadly, I've given up.

I should be 10 days away from going to Aberdeen, MD for the beginning of a great journey, 20 years in the making.

That will wait.

Be patient, I know.

There will be no further thought on whether we should reopen or not, because we're not completely open and there's nothing I can do about it.

Besides, I'm a little tapped out with arguing.

I'm babbling. That's just how I'm feeling tonight.

Tomorrow will be better.

I'm sure.

No comments: