Monday, June 29, 2020

Wear a Mask

I hate it. Literally hate it. But I also know it's the right thing to do.
The title, literally says it all.

Look, I get it. You hate the mask.

I HATE THE MASK.

But, like it or not, everything I've read says the mask saves lives. At the very least, it saves other lives.

And those others are my friends. My family.

Most of all, my mom.

(Ridicule away. Call me "sheeple." This is how I feel. I just want this crap to stop.)

I'm not some militant person who is going to shame you. But, I'll likely roll my eyes. I'm hardly perfect in this. I forget it sometimes and have to go back and get it.

All I'm asking for is a common sense approach.

If you go in the store, wear the damn thing.

I've sat in doctors offices and a car dealership. Occasionally, I'd adjust it or even take it off if I felt it was safe for a moment.

This isn't some government conspiracy (unless it goes away magically in November).

I bring this up because I was going to try to visit my niece and family in North Carolina. We had found a way to get my mom there and keep her safe and happy.

But North (and South) Carolina are now in the list of "hot spot" states, defined by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.

With Florida, Texas, and Arizona leading the way.

So, they certainly can't come to New York (or Connecticut or New Jersey) and we can't visit there without having to self-quarantine upon returning.

This recklessness is not only going to cost something as insignificant as my summer travel plans but it could end sports for the year and other far-reaching consequences.

The pessimists will win. The "second wave" will strike.

Here's the deal: the virus is boss here. It's in total control. There's no one else in charge.

It's no great hoax. It's no plot. I've watched what it does.

Yes, I'm really frustrated that Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont is now saying that opening bars and other Phase 4 things might get pushed back due to this NC/SC/FL/etc nonsense.

I have friends who would like to go back to work.

For bleeps sake, I'D like to go back to some sort of work.

I'm frustrated. I ask you to trust me on that. Virtually all of the joy that I was looking to this year is gone, save for my niece's wedding near Albany (assuming it's going to happen).

I wanted -- no, EXPECTED -- 2020 to finally be the year I started having a life. I was promised it would be better.

"Set goals," they say (whoever they are).

I allowed myself to dream. Instead, not a damn thing has changed, except I've just given up.

Literally everything that happened in 2019 (and 2018, 2017, 2016...) is happening again.

This was supposed to be a huge year. The Renegades were happening. That was going to get me to Maryland, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and other locales.

I was supposed to go to London and San Francisco and, hopefully, will get there in '21.

I planned to get to North Carolina. I have a niece, her husband, three kids, myriad cats and a dog who I'm pretty close to (and I even think they never got a snake out of respect for me, or something like that).

I was supposed to go celebrate with A.J. and Victoria near Boston as they got married.

Not to mention the impact it had on Sean and his senior year.

I felt such promise in '20. Remind me again why the concept of a "new year" is unmitigated crap?

Instead, I'm pretty badly unemployed and mostly serving as anything but a sports broadcaster, save for a talk show.

I feel a lot of despair and more ambivalence than I've ever felt. Me -- the person who generally cared about everything, is mostly just ... meh.

Don't get me wrong. I realize my blessings and, despite how this may seem, I'm not whining or complaining.

I ache for my friends and loved ones who have suffered in one form or another.

What I'm doing is setting out facts for you that say that the sooner we eradicate or control COVID-19, the sooner we can consider any of these things.

Take stock of what we've lost. It's huge. The Big E fair in Massachusetts was called off today. The Boston and New York City Marathons are both gone. Broadway is staying dark. Those are just a few entertainment options that have closed up for the year.

We've come a long way here in New York and nearby in Connecticut. But other parts of the country are screwing it all up.

This year feels, mostly, like a lost cause and we're barely at the midway point.

Wear the mask.

Please.

Curse me if you like.

Just be smart.

Please.

No comments: