Friday, June 05, 2020

A Cat Picture (Or Two)

Hang in there, Chico!
Once again, I've been reminded that we can't have conversations. We're incapable.

Be it mascot name changes, monuments in my beloved Richmond, VA or obviously even far more-pressing concerns (and less-pressing as well), we're incapable of talking.

Debates aren't possible without name-calling and ad hominem attacks.

Drew Brees says something ill-timed? He's a racist.

Grant Napear (play-by-play voice of the Sacramento Kings)? The same.

You get mocked and criticized for humor, even if laughter is the best medicine for the soul, in my opinion.

Oh, right. My opinion doesn't matter.

Tony Savino asked me this morning in our Friday chat on WGCH about conducting a talk show through this time. I told him that every word has made me nervous.

Posting about the likelihood of changing the name of the mascot at Western Connecticut State University (my alma mater) made me nervous, and rightfully so. They were the Colonials and they won't be much longer. It's, essentially, been determined to be a barbaric term.

I haven't posted anything about Richmond preparing to take down their Civil War monuments. Not because I support the monuments or what they stand for (come on, folks, I hope you know me by now).

I hate being nervous to speak on my show or here on this stupid blog or anywhere else.

To be quite clear: NOBODY SHOULD BE AFRAID TO TALK.

Instead, I just retreat and say nothing.

Virtue signaling wins.

And thus I'll post a cat picture and call it a day.

And won't dare to laugh about it.


No comments: