Sunday, June 28, 2020

A New Day

They awaited.
After the stress of car buying and hustling to and from Connecticut to make a commitment, I sort of passed out last night.

Sort of. I never truly pass out. The days of a good night's sleep are long gone.

Still, I woke up and was ready to face the world.

Oh, but I couldn't have cereal. I didn't have milk.

As late as yesterday morning that would have perplexed me. See, it was 15 cents for every mile over the lease. I still occasionally ran to the grocery store or pizza place but, for the most part, my car has sat quietly since I parked it on March 12.

In fact, I drove it toi Dutchess Stadium earlier this week and had to clean the windows because it was caked in Mother Nature.

To be honest, I hadn't driven it much at all since probably late January. I think I had only -- yes, only -- put a little more than 4,000 miles on it since mid-December.

So, I suppose I can thank 2020 for that.

But, there I was, thinking about Snap! Crackle! and Pop! when it hit me.

I have a car with no mileage limit! Oh joy!


So I threw some clothes on, popped on a baseball cap (a Yankees Sunday it was!) and ran up to the local deli. You city types might call it a "bodega" but your mileage may vary.

I grabbed milk and a dozen hard rolls, paid for my wares and climbed back in the still-unnamed vehicle.

Hmmm ... "Tako" has a nice ring to it.

I'll keep working on it.

Not completely satisfied, I steered my new(ish) wheels past my road and onto the gas station.

Not the one closest to my house, where I think you are required to take a small loan for gas.

But, it gave me a few extra minutes to enjoy the Beatles Channel (the car still seems to have a SiriusXM subscription -- I'm not complaining) and I made my way back home.

It was more though. It was allowing the simple pleasures of a moment, and not being overwhelmed in the muck of the daily nonsense. I was grateful for this small, insignificant moment.

Later on, I sat in the car and tried to figure out a few of the bells and whistles on it. Otherwise, to be honest, it's not a whole lot different than the very same vehicle I turned in yesterday. Except this one will heat my butt in winter, for what it's worth.

Not a selling point to me but, again, your mileage may vary.

One last thing tonight: thank you so very much for the texts, comments, likes, and anything else related to Sean's graduation on Friday. For someone is not event a tenth of the emotional clown I am, he showed pride and excitement and I know he is grateful for each nod given to him. You've all overwhelmed me with the simple gesture of clicking an emoji, and I thank you.

No comments: