Sunday, June 21, 2020

Happy Father's Day


I'm sitting on the back porch with my feet up.

I have a cup of hot coffee sitting alongside of me (I'm weird) and it's 87 degrees here in Mahopac

(Still home of the Indians for now)

My son is sitting in his room, doing whatever he does on his mega computer.

My father is, hopefully, smiling somewhere.

Smiling. That, and his laugh, are probably the first things I think of when I think of him.

There are a lot of fathers who screw it up. It's not a difficult gig, to be honest. Be fair and compassionate. Listen to your kids, make them laugh a little, and help them grow to be better than you are.

Teach your children well.

Provide discipline when necessary.

I love being a father. Like, love love love love it.

I've tried to be whatever I could be for my nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews and those I've adopted in one form or another.

But there's only one Sean.

I tried to be what Robert Sr was to me for him.

I've provided, as best as possible, even if it meant I starved.

I've tried to give him experiences.

I've been there emotionally, even if he wasn't interested (and that's pretty much what Sean is like).

But, no, he's never been to Florida or whatever. I don't play the "Keeping Up with the..." game, even if they gave me the home version (not available in stores, some assembly is required).

In return, he's given me the honor of being a dad.

Which is what I tried to give in return to my dad.

Sean owes me nothing today. Sure, I'd love to play golf or watch a ballgame (imagine that?) but he's happy.

I'm happy.

Somewhere, I hope my dad is happy.

Sean's grandfather, that is.

Elsewhere, I hope more dads are happy and recognize the gifts they have. I hope their children recognize the same.

And if your dad or child isn't with you, know that someone is thinking of you.

Take none of it for granted.

Be good to each other today (and everyday).

No comments: