Thursday, June 04, 2020

No Enchantment Under the Sea

Maybe Sean can get a DeLorean and go back in time
Tonight would have been Sean's senior prom.

I wasn't big on attending dances in school and I'm pretty sure he wasn't either.

It was a different story when it came to the prom. I went to both of mine and two others as well.

You needed a prom date? Sure, I'd go!

I wasn't sure if Sean would go to his but suggested he and his friends go stag and have a blast. I gather others told him the same.

He was convinced.

Now, thanks to COVID-19, he gets nothing.

It's a first world problem and I understand that.

Still, I feel bad for him, even if he's low-key about it.

He won't get that chance to gather with his class and dance to whatever they play.

He won't have the opportunity to mock those classmates who think they're so special. My God but that can be priceless.

There's the one who thinks they're too cool or too popular or too ... whatever.

It's rare to be able to dress in such a way and enjoy it.

It's a rite of passage.

The rubber chicken. The limos (if you get one -- I never had one). The pictures!

And it's not happening.

As it is, it looks like he'll have a two-part graduation that includes a drive-through parade and an appointed time to receive his diploma. Those details are still coming together.

So, while he's sitting upstairs, talking online to friends and dutifully doing his e-learning during the day, it's his dad that feels what he is losing.

Because I know what it was like for me and I wanted him to appreciate that.

He'll be a better man for these experiences.

No comments: