Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Admin

Preparing game notes and my scorebook last August at Dutchess Stadium
I've belonged to -- and grumbled about -- the Play-by-Play group on Facebook before.

Now I get a say in it.

Mike Hirn and I were both named admins today.

It has, frankly, gotten stale. Good conversations have mostly given way to promotions of talk shows and podcasts. In a lot of ways, the pandemic damaged the page as none of us had games to broadcast so topics dried up.

While self-promotion is against the group rules, I get it, and there are ways around it. But every post has become either that or "Hey! So (insert name here) says I'm the best broadcaster ever!" Obviously a lot of things fall under the heading of self-promotion.

I've even seen posts intended to get members to buy one thing or another, and frankly, some of them were useful (I mean, we'd all be happy with some well-priced equipment).

For the record, I have two talk shows, a (seldom done) podcast, a blog, and my own little radio channel. I have plenty of things to promote and never have. To each their own.

When I was named "voice" of the Renegades (I'm still getting used to that title), Mike posted it in the group. He'll back me up on this -- I had nothing to do with it. He did that.

In fact, I was a lurker in the group (as I am in most groups). I like to read and maybe chime in when necessary. Despite my love of roads and road photography, there are too many rules and I just don't feel like getting yelled at for crappy road snaps.

But Mike and I need to liven up the PBP group. Keep in mind the full name is "Play by Play Announcers, Sideline Reporters, Color Analysts, Studio Hosts." There's a lot of room for members and good conversations.

In my opinion, you need be nothing more than interested or dabbling in any of those to be admitted. I'll use Harold as an example. He's done color on -- maybe -- 25 games total in the 25 years I've known him. That's 26 more than enough for me.

We -- including Channing Ewing, who started the group -- just want people to talk.

To that end, we ask that you follow the rules, which aren't rocket science.

From there, I'd like to see it spiced up and prefer that I don't have to delete posts and get involved in sorting out nonsense.

Mike and I (and a few others) were having fun one day on a particular topic one day. There was no harsh criticism. In fact, it was pretty benign. I'll politely say a "holier than thou" type spanked the hands of those doing such.

No more. Criticism is fair game. I've seen countless "I hate Joe Buck" posts but having an open conversation about a broadcaster whose style has come under scrutiny isn't OK?

I'm going to allow it. If it turns personal then it will be dealt with.

It's supposed to be a community. It's supposed to be a place for understanding of styles and giving advice. Jeff Alterman is still new to the play-by-play world, for instance. He can use some support and advice.

Some history and philosophy of this craft would be welcome.

Hopefully, I won't have to play babysitter.

Welcome to the new members.

Incidentally, it's a sacred day around these parts, as the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup on this day in 1994.

I watched it at Scott's house. It could have been a magical year, as the Knicks could have won the NBA Final a week later and the Yankees were denied by the MLB strike.

But, we have the Rangers. It has lasted a lifetime, hasn't it?


(Oh, by the way, looks like that Yankees stuff from yesterday was nothing. To paraphrase Elmer Fudd, "It's vewy vewy quiet for the Yankees hunters. Hahahahahaha")

No comments: