Saturday, June 27, 2020

Play The Game

This is the first thing that came up when I Googled "car."
To be QUITE sure: that's NOT the car I bought!
I'm just going to get this off my chest: buying/leasing a car sucks.

S-u-c-k-s.

S
U
C
K
S

Hopefully I've made my point clear.

Literally, it's an anxiety-fueled, soul-sucking roller coaster in the theme park of life.

Next stop? Destructoland where we'll go through your life and tell you why are awful, but hey, would you like a bottle of water?

It's no secret what things have been like around these parts, and dealing with a car has been front and center in my sleepless nights. Thanks to leasing, I had very little room for just ... driving.

Want to go somewhere for ... GASP! ... fun? Oh, I don't think I can afford the miles.

And, inevitably, I go over those miles.

Of course, don't you dare get a dent, ding, or whatever on a lease!

So you sit and get told all of the reasons that you can't have literally anything.

And you nearly walk out. I've come close a few times, including today.

When the Business Manager hits you with that price that makes you almost laugh out loud.

There wasn't much haggling. They needed my business and I'm still not sure the deal was great.

But, like it or not, it's done. Did I get what I wanted? Probably not.

But, I got peace of mind. I can sleep tonight.

Except, then they leave a cryptic "Call us" message when you're not home.

And now you're wondering what's wrong. Could be just a customer service "Hey, aren't you happy?!" follow-up call or it could be they discovered ... something.

Cars become a friend. You name them, woo them, talk them through the tough moments ("Come on, baby, you can make it!"), spend lots of time together and actually feel pangs of hurt when you say goodbye to them.

My 2017 Nissan Sentra served me well and I would have been honored to keep it but it was probably best to call it a day.

It used to be where picking up a car meant maybe a day trip. You'd try it out by taking it somewhere, maybe grabbing a meal, and putting a 100 or so miles on it before going home.

Today, after a five-hour purchasing process, my mother and I went to see my great niece Isabella on the occasion of her graduating from kindergarten.

We took Mom's car.

*****
Before we part tonight, it's been a tough week for friends.

Mike Hirn lost his mother earlier in the week. I'm heartbroken for my friend. I'll put it this way: this week has been a nightmare for Mike and family.

But, earlier today, my #ProjectOpenEndedDate co-conspirator John Nash announced that his mom had passed.

I glanced at my own mom -- 83 and hanging in there -- and smiled. There are simple blessings that we must embrace.

However, I'm truly saddened for both of my friends and pass along condolences and the notion that the phone is open if a friend is needed.

We all need friends right about now.

No comments: