Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Obsession

"Be still I will not accept defeat"
I just got off the air.

I finished up another fine edition of "The Clubhouse." We had former NY Rangers/LA Kings hockey player Tom Laidlaw on for the hour, along with Codey Medina of the Alzheimer's Association of the Hudson Valley and Frank Drucker of Yonkers Raceway.

Mark Jeffers was terrific.

So was Dave Torromeo.

Bob Small was Bob Small and I was fine. I laughed and enjoyed myself.

But, now, as I'm sitting here editing the show for playback on WON, 920 The Apple and WEAF, 940 The Liberty, I feel empty.

Something was up with the level of my microphone on the radio side (which is what I send back to WGCH).

At that point, I become immediately distracted.

My brain commences this call center of troubleshooting.

"Hi, my name is Rob. Can you describe the problem?"

My body and my voice continue. The show must go on!

But my brain is going wacky.

The frammasbracket is plugged into the watchamacallit! That HAS to be wrong.

I'm projecting my microphone too loudly. Maybe that's it.

No matter what, I can't fix it. It has to wait.

So, now, as I look at the finished product, I can see on my end that my microphone was too "hot" (that is, loud) but Bob says I sounded different at WGCH. Muffled. Soft. Then loud.

Internet issues? Bad computer?

Damned if I know.

This becomes my wicked witch and it will vex me for the next week until we do the show again.

And the week after that.

Then we're taking the balance of the summer off but there's still "Doubleheader" to deal with and I have no idea when 1) I'll be back in the WGCH studios or 2) when we'll all be together at Grand Prix NY to do "The Clubhouse" in person.

I carry this stuff with me. Each issue rolls around. Try again tomorrow.

But I'm already troubleshooting it now.

Or, I was before I started typing.

OK. Back to it.

By the way, "Obsession" by Animotion is 35 years old. You're welcome.

I could have gone with the perfume instead.

No comments: