Sunday, May 31, 2020

Farewell, May

Chico wants everyone to be cool like him

Greetings from my back yard.

I haven't written from anywhere except my desk in months. Literally.

Despite a mid-60s chill on my legs, I'm away from CNN and MSNBC and FOX News, each of whom I gave a chance last night.

One thought: Don Lemon is not an anchor. An anchor reports. An anchor doesn't doesn't preach.

I've been chewing on that since I literally texted the words "CNN is the most center of the three." Then Lemon stopped anchoring and began editorializing. Honestly, it was the last thing we needed in that spot.

We need journalists. People we trust.

It comes back to George Floyd. He's what matters.

Enough. We need positivity. Not phony positivity. God, I'm sick of that also.

But I feel like my voice is a waste. But I'll listen. That is needed.

Otherwise I guess I'll "stick to sports" or music or something else. "Stay in my lane," as the saying goes, I guess.

I hope to give you a diversion here.

And, with that, we're up to the final day of the 30 Day Song Challenge, and this might be toughest one yet.

Day 30: A song that reminds you of yourself

But first, here's a recap of the previous 29:

- Day 1: A song you like with a color in the title -- Yellow Submarine, The Beatles
- Day 2: A song you like with a number in the title -- Be My Number Two, Joe Jackson
- Day 3: A song that reminds you of summer -- The Boys of Summer, Don Henley
- Day 4: A song that reminds you of someone you'd rather forget -- Take on Me, A-Ha
- Day 5: A song that needs to be played loud -- Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway -- Live), Billy Joel
- Day 6: A song that makes you want to dance -- Head Over Hells, The Go Go's
- Day 7: A song to drive to -- The Heart of Rock and Roll, Huey Lewis and the News
- Day 8: A song about drugs or alcohol -- White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane
- Day 9: A song that makes you happy -- American Girl, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Day 10: A song that makes you sad -- Alone Again (Naturally), Gilbert O'Sullivan
- Day 11: A song you never get tired of -- Conquistador, Procol Harum
- Day 12: A song from your preteen years -- Honky Cat, Elton John
- Day 13: A song from the 70s -- Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty
- Day 14: A song you'd love to be played at your wedding -- Maybe I'm Amazed (Live), Paul McCartney (and Wings)
- Day 15: A song you like that's a cover by another artist -- The Boys Are Back in town, Huey Lewis and the News
- Day 16: A song that's a classic favorite -- I Saw Her Standing There, The Beatles
- Day 17: A song you'd sing a duet with someone on karaoke -- The Weight, The Band
- Day 18: A song from the year you were born -- Midnight Confessions, The Grass Roots
- Day 19: A song that makes you think about life -- Taxi, Harry Chapin
- Day 20: A song that has many meanings to you -- Got to Get You Into My Life, The Beatles
- Day 21: A song you like with a person's name in the title -- Angie, The Rolling Stones
- Day 22: A song that moves your forward -- Vienna, Billy Joel
- Day 23: A song you think everybody should listen to -- So Little Kindness, Huey Lewis and the News
- Day 24: A song by a band you wish were still together -- Radio Free Europe, REM
- Day 25: A song you like by an artist no longer living -- I've Got You Under My Skin, Frank Sinatra (Live at the Sands)
- Day 26: A song that makes you want to fall in love -- Here, There and Everywhere, The Beatles
- Day 27: A song that breaks your heart -- It's Too Late, Carole King
- Day 28: A song by an artist whose voice you love -- Warm Ways, Fleetwood Mac
- Day 29: A song you remember from your childhood -- Rocket Man, Elton John

That made me feel like Casey Kasem! Ponderous, man. Ponderous! (How fitting is that term right now?)

Well there you have it. Admittedly my list used a few artists several times. Guilty as charged. I apologize.

So what makes me think...of me?

Generally speaking, I think most people think of two things musically when they think of me: Huey Lewis and The Beatles. And they're quite right.

I've been thinking about this for hours. I keep thinking of either "The Power of Love" or "Hip to Be Square." With the way my life (and world) is, I was even reaching towards a somewhat-unknown HLN song called "Trouble in Paradise."

The thing is there is no right answer and if I could do this all again, I might come up with 30 different answers.

In the end, whatever song I use doesn't matter and is completely irrelevant and, perhaps, even inappropriate to concern myself with, given the circumstances.

So, enough.

Queen. Radio Gaga.

Thanks for putting up with this nonsense for the last month and the last 500+ consecutive days and the last (nearly) 14 years.

Let's all do better.

"Radio someone still loves you."

 

No comments: