Sunday, May 17, 2020

GOATs

(ESPN)
I watched live sports today.

It was NASCAR at Darlington, SC. My dad often talked about going there whenever we'd pass through just a few miles to the east on I-95.

The FOX broadcast was really well-done. You would't know the broadcasters were in a studio. You wouldn't know any of the logistics unless FOX told you because they were that flawless in the presentation.

The point is that it worked.

To that end, here's a "pro tip" literally all other sports and those who tweet about them: shut up.

Seriously. Shut up.

I'm tired of the talking. I'm tired of the 6,000-page MLB COVID-19 handbook that's being broken down like it's a newly-discovered work from Shakespeare.

I'm tired of the armchair analysts who "don't see it happening."

I'm tired of the people who don't get IT'S A NEGOTIATION. It's stage one, and every press release has said that very thing.

So, at this point, come back or don't.

But shut up about it.

Baseball will look terrible if it doesn't come back due to money. Blake Snell didn't exactly endear himself the other day.

If safety is your concern since you can't spit, high-five and the myriad other guidelines that the FIRST DRAFT put in place, then so be it.

Time is ticking.

The messages remain ridiculously mixed everywhere.

That's why I've mostly been writing about music. I haven't wanted to lose my stuff over everything.

People are just being...well, people, I guess.

Maybe I'll let that fly here eventually.

But I just finished watching The Last Dance. I'd rather focus on GOATs.

Michael Jordan is, simply, The Greatest of All Time.

To that end...

Day 16: A song that's a classic favorite

I was going to try to be different.

Maybe go with Elvis. Sinatra. Maybe some Chuck Berry. Maybe Clapton.

A classic favorite. Consider the gods.

Nah. I'm in the mood for the GOATs.

Babe Ruth. Vin Scully. Wayne Gretzky. Jim Brown.

In this case, musically, a team that went out on top. A team that we wanted to see regroup.

The Bulls.

The Beatles.

You hear about this band from Liverpool. You buy their first album (in the UK), Please Please Me.

Drop the needle on the record.

"One, Two, Three, FAW!"

Game. Over.

No comments: